Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage on a 'gifted' house?

(13 Posts)
sicutlilium Wed 06-Mar-13 15:34:30

It wouldn't help him avoid care home fees either:

KnightRob Wed 06-Mar-13 14:48:09

I trust you're aware that if he continues to live in the property after having made the gift, unless he pays full market rent, there won't be any Inheritance Tax advantages, no matter how long he lives (it would be classified as a Gift with Reservation).

financialwizard Mon 04-Mar-13 10:34:17

Have you got your first years accounts done yet, or will that be done next month?

If you have a years accounts and were doing something similar prior to going self employed then I know of a lender that would help.

LadyKooKoo Sun 03-Mar-13 20:04:33

Speak to a financial advisor, they will be able to best advise you on mortgages for the self-employed. Inheritance tax will only be an issue within 7 years if the whole estate is worth over £325k.

blindinglight Sun 03-Mar-13 19:25:05

Thanks for the replies.

Yes he owns it outright. We have checked tax liability and if he gifts it to us and does not die (!!) within 7 years then we are not liable to pay inheritance tax. Also, as he is gifting the house and not expecting anything in return there is no stamp duty to be paid either.

Need to call a mortgage advisor I suppose and see what the next step would be.

I suppose the amount we can borrow is still based on our income? I'm worried that because we are both recently self employed (just 1 year) we might get refused a mortgage outright!

AuntieStella Sun 03-Mar-13 09:43:02

And make sure everyone checks their tax liability, so there are no nasty later surprises which derail your plan.

Charmingbaker Sun 03-Mar-13 09:28:39

If the house is gifted to you then you will own the property outright. You can then approach a mortgage company for a mortgage, you will not need a deposit- your deposit will be the equity in the house. The only thing you will need to check is will you be able to get a mortgage to cover the cost of the improvements you want to make ( a mortgage advisor can advise you on this) and is the house mortgageable (some types of constructions are not).

LegoAcupuncture Sun 03-Mar-13 09:26:48

If he is gifting it to you, once the deeds etc are signed over you'd do a remortgage on the house.

I take it he owns the house outright?

LadyKooKoo Sun 03-Mar-13 09:23:30


LadyKooKoo Sun 03-Mar-13 09:21:24

Does your FIL owe the house outright? He can only gift it if he does.

blindinglight Sat 02-Mar-13 22:26:46

Yes, we'd need to do a lot of work so would need to borrow against the house

GinAndSlimlinePlease Sat 02-Mar-13 21:34:09

Why would you need a mortgage of it's a gift? Is it to do the work?

What matters to the mortgage company is the loan to value rate. This is the percentage you need to borrow against the value of the house. So if you need a mortgage of 40k and the house is valued at £100k, then your LTV would be 40%.

blindinglight Sat 02-Mar-13 21:30:29

FIL wants to gift his house to us. We would never be able to afford a mortgage for the value of the house. We are both recently self-employed and husband has an average credit rating (few late payments).

If we accepted FIL's offer, we would need to do a lot of work to the house to live in it. Would we be able to get a mortgage on the house without a deposit? (Is it a mortgage or remortgage in this case?! No idea!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now