Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can an adult and child have a joint bank account?

(39 Posts)
StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 08:43:28

I have had no luck with Google! For complicated reasons, my husband is being asked to open joint bank accounts with both his children (13 and 10). These bank accounts would need to function like normal bank accounts eg online payments possible, normal withdrawal limits etc. Is there any such thing? An additional complication is that the 13 year old is in a secure psychiatric facility so can't go to any branches.

He's currently named on the savings account of the younger child but that has restrictions on it, as you would expect.

KatieMiddleton Thu 28-Feb-13 17:28:51

It is unlikely there is a currant account that can be opened jointly with all the necessary functionality you require.

However, it should be possible to open accounts in each child's name which your husband is the trustee for (ie the money belongs to the children but he operates it).

Santander <spits> actually have good online banking and apps and I think it's possible to get the childen's accounts to show with your husband's other accounts. He may need to open a current account (so 3 x accounts in total) but he could then make instant transfers from the savings into the current account and do what he needs to.

lljkk Thu 28-Feb-13 17:42:33

Can you even get a regular account going that has payment facilities, etc., without a regular salary paid into it?

Assuming yes to my last query, Why can't OP's husband open regular accounts in his name but with understanding which account is for which child. As long as OP's husband copies all bank statements to the trustees and accounts for how every penny was spent, wouldn't that meet the demands of the trustees?

StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 17:48:34

I doubt it, MrsC. I'm guessing there are rules on this sort of thing! I think the response we need to try is 'we can find no bank that offers current accounts to which an adult and child can be account holders. The withdrawal restrictions around children's savings accounts make them unsuitable in meeting the children's needs. Our client is happy to sign an appropriate indemnity regarding use of the money if paid into his bank account'. That's reasonable, right?

Not that they live in the land of reasonable!

StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 17:54:46

I'm willing to try Santander but I'm not hugely hopeful.

The problem with sending them bank statements is that the money won't actually be being spent from those accounts. The money will be used to contribute towards our household costs and it is utterly impractical to make payments for, say, the weekly shopping from three different accounts. The trustees don't have kids and live in a world where we're using the money to buy one-off items for them. Yes, sometimes we would, but in general the money goes towards things rather than being discrete expenditure. The money is obviously being used for the benefit of the children as it should be. We have in the past provided a narrative summary of what we have spent the money on but they have never referred to that or questioned it.

StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 17:56:27

Also they are insisting the children's names are on the account. Basically all this is an attempt not to pay the money if they possibly can. So every possible obstacle is being put in place. It has taken us three years of legal wrangling to get them this far.

Rockchick1984 Thu 28-Feb-13 18:06:39

Stiffy have you consulted a solicitor, if they are being so difficult then surely that is going against the wishes of the person who left the money in trust? Even posting in legal matters on here may get you an answer, there's lots of solicitors who happily answer questions on there smile

StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 18:12:38

We have a solicitor already. The trustees are carrying out the legator's wishes to the letter. It is my husband's ex-wife and she told them he shouldn't see a penny of the money. That's our problem. The pair of them have had to be expensively and slowly shown that their duty as trustees is to the children and not their mother.

StiffyByng Thu 28-Feb-13 18:16:28

They are also refusing to provide any maintenance at all until they have 'proof' that my stepdaughter, who has a life-limiting condition, is 'still ill'. They have had letters from her consultant in the past but are demanding another. Another insulting stalling tactic.

lljkk Fri 01-Mar-13 07:10:27

I guess I would propose that I'd withdrawn in units of £100 (or some expected budget/month) and I would provide a monthly itemised list on how it was spent. (So much ridiculous paperwork)

If you need to contribute 10% of the household heating, or 10% of the food bill, something like that, then you need to get that % agreed in writing ahead of time.

Trustees do sound extremely unreasonable. sad
Are trustees taking an annual income from the trust, what purposes was the trustee set up for?
Do you actually suspect them of trying to hold onto a larger fund for longer in order to make more income?

You could sue them on behalf of the DC. But first you have to create lots of paperwork to show that you have tried hard to accommodate all of their requests. So you need printouts of the account T&C for all the banks you've tried to contact about the type of account they try to insist that you have. To show that no such account exists and write trustees letters asking them to find such a bank account since you have asked X many banks and not found anything yet; save copies of your letters sent and letters they did or didn't send in reply.

StiffyByng Fri 01-Mar-13 09:53:04

Oh, they are a nightmare. They won't really agree the principle that the money will go towards general expenses but any sort of proper discussion is impossible. Every minor agreement takes months, and several solicitor's letters on each side, which is costing us all a fortune.

The trust is for the money the children's mother left them. She was unfortunately not in a position to put their needs first (mental illness) so all her instructions are about my husband not having any of the money rather than positive things for them to do with it. For a long time they refused to pay anything at all. They are friends of hers who don't know my husband and have only got the rather delusional things she said about him to go on. She had alienated her own family and all her longstanding friends sadly.

Our solicitor is trying to get them to agree to remove themselves but I can't imagine they will. We need to decide whether or not to go to court. In the meantime

TomArchersSausage Fri 01-Mar-13 10:01:23

Not sure if any help, but we've just opened accounts for our three dc with Santander and can set up a direct debit to pay money into them. They get a cash card (no overdraft).

StiffyByng Fri 01-Mar-13 15:31:42

Thanks, Sausages. Sadly they also have online banking.

StiffyByng Fri 01-Mar-13 15:32:01

+ no, obviously.

galbers Sun 10-Mar-13 15:21:01

I have an RBS current account (not my main account but one I keep a bit in to run the other two) and both children (ages 12 and 16 now (RBS revolve from 11 yrs) have their own current accounts with debit cards . They both signed third party mandates and so I can access all three accounts from one log on. I could take money out if needed I can do all banking transactions from their accounts. They both have their own debit cards. You could do something like this.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: