Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Customer Compliance Officer

(73 Posts)
AbbieJayne1990 Tue 26-Feb-13 20:50:44

Hi all, I am new to the site and was wondering if anyone had any experience's with a compliance officer? I am a young lone parent and recently received a letter from the Jobcentre saying that they need to come for a home visit due to allegations that have been made against me. I'm not really bothered about it as I have nothing to hide, but it just gets to me that someone (I think I know who) has gone all out to report me.

Although I do have a boyfriend who is also the father to my 5 year old daughter, he does not live with me and ever since moving into my flat about 3 years ago I have had nothing but problems with certain people in my block of flats all because one of them had a fight many years a go with my boyfriends mum and clearly has held a grudge over him and his family ever since.
I know it sounds silly but that is the only reason I can think of, for someone to report me as I feel I'm not doing anything wrong.

My boyfriend does work and stays at mine on his days off which is about 2-3 times a week, but does not contribute to any household bills, cooking, cleaning etc. And the only clothing he has at mine is a spare pair of socks and boxers, and maybe a can of deoderant but that's it.
Is this really classed as benefit fraud? I have spoken to family and friends about this and they all say that I am doing nothing wrong, so I thought I would write a thread and find out from someone who has had experience with a compliance officer.

lubeybooby Fri 01-Mar-13 19:44:23

You will need to be able to prove that he lives elsewhere

lougle Fri 01-Mar-13 19:55:16

"Yes I said my boyfriend works and stays at mine 2-3 times a week, but that is on his days off. He comes up every day to help me with our daughter as I am only 22 and sometimes find it a struggle coping with my daughter who has problems."

It's irrelevant whether it's days off or not. The fact is that he is staying at your house '2-3 times per week', comes up every day to help you with your DD and you are claiming to be a single parent.

I'm not looking down my nose at anyone. I'm telling you that from the information you are posting, you are committing fraud, because you are in a relationship, behaving as if you are in a relationship and you are now admitting that your boyfriend 'helps you with your DD every day'.

Tell me, apart from the fact that he doesn't share his money, how is that any different than any other relationship where one of the couple works and the other stays at home?

If you look at whether you should be making a single claim or a couple claim, the fact that a couple don't share a house is not a defining feature. Many couples live apart during the week, for work purposes.

The fact that he doesn't give you money is only possible because you are in receipt of benefits.

Babyroobs Fri 01-Mar-13 20:20:14

To be honest Abbie, I doubt you will get into any trouble, but I don't think you can blame people for failing to understand why your working partner can virtually live in your house most of the week yet contribute nothing to pay for you and your child. It will be up to the compliance officer to decide if this is ok. Many folk on here will feel it is not ok - between the pair of you you probably have more disposable income than many other families because you choose to live apart. But you have given reasons why you have to live apart and I think you will get away with it.

Babyroobs Fri 01-Mar-13 20:25:09

I only say I think you will get away with it because I have seen quite a few single mums I know getting away with it . As long as they have another address whether it be their mums/ their boat whatever, they seem to get away with it. I ahve seen it time and time again.

ivykaty44 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:34:56

Just because you don't like the answer you were given doesn't mean people look down there nose at you

it is amazement that the father me your child refuses to pay. For his own flesh and blood

tight ass

HeySoulSister Sat 02-Mar-13 10:05:50

We should all do this!!!

We'd all be better off.... Between us a full wage and full benefits.... Then he goes home and his mum does his washing!


lougle Sat 02-Mar-13 10:18:12

Quite. I'm usually saddened by benefit bashing threads, but this is an example of people having their cake and eating it.

Babyroobs Sat 02-Mar-13 10:49:49

I agree soul sister - I work nights and have often thought we could get away with doing this ! I could just register myself on the electoral roll at my Dads house, get my dh to claim as a single parent - with 4 kids we would really be quids in. Then I could just pop round for most of the day whilst being about £800 a month better off. We could have a really nice life. of course I am just fantasizing , in relaity we are too honest. But it makes me so so cross at people doing this, I have seen so many getting away with it for years on end.

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 10:50:41

If your dd is 5 and presumably at school then why can't you work? Also it seems a bit odd that you would want to spend half the week with a man that apparently puts you at risk of having your dd taken into care, or do social services not know he is staying with you?confused

Babyroobs Sat 02-Mar-13 11:15:35

Op has already says she desperately wants a job, so presumable she is looking for work.

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 15:22:31

Sorry I missed that bit, all I could see in this thread was the OP saying she couldn't wait to go out and get a job. Didn't sound as is she was actively looking which is the bit that I didn't understand. If her dd is school age then she has school time free and if her dp stays at hers three nights a week she has a ready made babysitter if she wants to do evening work. I assume SS must be okay with him staying with her or else obviously she wouldn't be letting him.

AbbieJayne1990 Sat 02-Mar-13 18:07:57

I am looking for work but not able to actually work at the moment, as the problems my daughter has, is stopping her from being able to do a full day at school. And about doing an evening job, again I am not able to do due to my boyfriend doing night shifts and being at his mums asleep most of the day. The stuff that happened between me and my boyfriend happened a long time a go, back when he was living with me 4 years a go, and things have changed a lot since then and since he has been living back at his mums. We are happy this way, so that's why I want to spend half the week with him.

lougle Sat 02-Mar-13 18:23:17

"We are happy this way, so that's why I want to spend half the week with him."

You can. What you can't do, is pretend you are a lone parent when in fact you are a couple who choose to spend part of the week apart.

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 18:34:24

You are either a single parent or you aren't. If you are a single parent then that means you don't have anyone other than children living with you. If your partner/your child's father is living with you for half the week then clearly you are not a single parent. Whether or not he contributes to the household income and has somewhere else to live is a complete irrelevance. If it weren't then all those families where the dh works away from home during the week would be classed as single parents.

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 18:35:29

Also if your partner is living with you for half the week and works night shifts what stops him looking after his dd for the half days she is not at school?

HeySoulSister Sat 02-Mar-13 18:36:16

Yeah! I bet you are happy!!

Best of both worlds! Don't you feel guilty taking benefits when you shouldn't be? Where is your shame?

fouranddone Sat 02-Mar-13 18:49:04

Op please do not do the young mum thing! I am also 22, I wouldn't class this as young anymore, I have 4 dc.

I don't claim housing/ council tax benefit etc however I have a rough knowledge of benefits in general through claiming cb and tc.

The first thing I thought when I read your post was that you are committing fraud!
You have a boyfriend, he is also the father of your child. Therefore you are NOT a 'young single mum'!!confused

thekidsrule Sat 02-Mar-13 21:42:06

so is the op not allowed to have a relatoinship then

plenty of single parents have relationships and dont live with them,but they stop over

maybe the op was/is in an abusive relationship and dosent feel strong enough to break things yet,who knows

so are we saying no sp can have a realationship now

difficultpickle Sat 02-Mar-13 21:56:16

The issue here is not the fact that the OP has a relationship but rather that she lives with someone. There is no issue with having someone stay occasionally but if they are living together the OP cannot by definition be a single parent. I assume that the issues with the OP's dp have been resolved as no one in their right mind would live with someone if SS had warned them that to do so could mean they have their dc taken into care.

lougle Sat 02-Mar-13 21:58:51

It's not about having a 'relationship'.

The boyfriend:

Stays on his days off
Comes daily to help with the DD
Sleeps with the OP
Is the father of the DD

The only difference is that he stays at his Mum's on the days after he works, so that he can sleep.

Oh, and that he gets to spend his entire wage on whatever he likes because his GF gets full benefits.

AbbieJayne1990 Sat 02-Mar-13 23:54:09

He doesn't live with me though, none of his belongings are at mine. I don't want to post about my private life but yes it was an abusive relationship and he was arrested for what he done. But I don't see how any of this is relevant to my original post. End of the day he doesn't live with me, he comes up every day to help me with our daughter as I find it difficult looking after her on my own due to problems that she has, how is that committing fraud in any way? Am I supposed to just sit back and struggle on my own? Because I already tried that and I ended up having an emotional breakdown and was later diagnosed with depression by my GP.
And he stays on his days off so that again he can help me with our daughter. I've been told that it doesn't matter who you have stay at yours for up to 3 times a week, as long as they aren't contributing to the household and they have their own address where they receive post and pay rent, then it's not classed as benefit fraud. I think the only way I am actually going to get any proper answers on the situation is if I go to Citizen's Advice, because me, my family and friends can't see how I am doing anything wrong.

ivykaty44 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:02:51

The compliance officer will give you proper answers - they will have built there case around the fact they think you have someone living with you as a partner, If you do not have a partner living with you then they will not have a case - so it is simple.

I guess your b/f has nothing to worry about as he will not be investigated and it isn't like it is going to cost him anything if you do get found guilty of fraud

AbbieJayne1990 Sun 03-Mar-13 00:08:13

And bisjo, Why are you trying to twist what I have said? I wasn't told by social services that if I stayed in a relationship with my boyfriend, that I would have my daughter taken away. The time he got arrested I was told that if they received anymore police reports, then our daughter would be on the Child Protection Act and further actions would have been taken. But it never happened again after that and the case was closed. It amazes me how I asked for a bit of advice and then I get people questioning my personal life, apart from the few that have actually been half decent and given me some quite good advice.

lougle Sun 03-Mar-13 00:10:36

"I got told by social services, police and my landlord that if there was anymore trouble then I would be at risk of being evicted and losing my daughter."

That's probably where she got the idea from, right there...

littlemisssarcastic Sun 03-Mar-13 00:14:13

You need to look at this from the compliance officers point of view OP.

You may have been reported by a neighbour. The neighbour may have said that you are co-habiting and declaring yourself as a single parent.

Compliance officer looks into these claims and realises you are claiming as a single parent, and arranges a home visit with you.

At this home visit, you tell the compliance officer that you;

Have been in a relationship for 6 years.
Your partner is the father of your child.
You have previously lived together but it didn't work out, and he moved out to live with his mother, where he spends 4/5 nights a week and uses his mothers house as a base for sleeping/eating, before coming straight round to your house.
Your partner spends time every day at your home.
He spends 2/3 nights every week at your home.
He has not paid you regular maintenance, but upon receiving the letter arranging the compliance home visit, he is going to begin paying you regular maintenance of £20 a week.
You are in a relationship with him and socialise with him.

If I was a compliance officer, I'd be asking if your partner did things like take you shopping, do you do any of his washing, where does he store his things when he visits you at the weekend, do you eat dinner together?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now