Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit

(13 Posts)
Hunt11 Sun 03-Mar-13 10:36:39

Thank you i will chase up everthing as you suggested.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 01-Mar-13 07:27:05

Rather than sitting back and waiting to hear, follow up with phone-calls to the relevant people. Be persistent. Check they have received the information from you and get them to give you a deadline when to expect payments or next steps. Also talk to your landlord or housing association (and anyone else expecting payments from you) and explain that you have submitted claims. IME People are far more flexible if they know a) there's a problem and b) you're doing something constructive to resolve it.

As regards other benefits. If you left your job because of a medical problem you may find that you do actually qualify. Again, as you have nothing to lose, make the claims anyway and let others decide if they are valid or not.

But be persistent.... you are the most important person in your family. You're just one of many in others' 'to do' pile.

Hunt11 Thu 28-Feb-13 15:08:46

Hi, I want to thank all the people who replied with their helpful advice. I have now submitted an online claim but havent heard anything in the meantime I have used my final wages to pay my rent as it was in arrears does anyone know how long it takes for a reply after you submitt your information online for housing and council tax benefit. I have also informed tax credits of my change, will they reply to me or just end the working tax credits and start to pay tax credits automatically. I have not applied for jsa as I left my job and dont deserve it. So worried as dont want to loose my house as me and my daughter would be homeless, am having anxiety attacks and am so worried. We have little money left now. Please any help would be appreciated.

Hunt11 Sat 23-Feb-13 13:22:25

No I dont have any savings. I will apply and see what happens but I need to know the next job I take I am well enough to keep. I dont want anything for me but need to keep,a roof over our heads while, i sort myself out and find a job.

LIZS Sat 23-Feb-13 10:52:32

Often you need to be receipt of a means tested benefit ie Income Support to qualify for HB/CTB. You may qualify for ESA rather than JSA but given your dd's age you would normally be expected to look for work. Do you have savings to tied you over ?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 23-Feb-13 10:47:26

How about running your new circumstances through the benefits checker at It should point you in the direction of what's available and where to apply.

Hunt11 Sat 23-Feb-13 10:43:21

My daughter is 15 and i am on my own.

Rockchick1984 Fri 22-Feb-13 23:26:38

A lot of areas won't let you claim other benefits if you're not getting JSA, ESA or income support. How old is your daughter? Is it just you and her, or do you have a partner?

RedHelenB Fri 22-Feb-13 17:08:27

In my authority yes, but they will need a letter confirming you asre no longer employed by your boss.

Hunt11 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:51:51

Will i be able to claim housing beneift and council tax benefit if I am not claiming JSA

Wereonourway Fri 22-Feb-13 16:50:14

And also depending on you dd's age you may be eligible for income support rather than jsmake an appointment with the cab

Wereonourway Fri 22-Feb-13 16:48:25

You should be eligible for child tax credits.
Ring the help line and tell them you have left work.
They will adjust claim and should be able to tell you what you are entitled to.

Hunt11 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:40:12

Hi, I was working part time but have left because I was very anxious and could not cope with the workload and was having anxiety attacks. I know have no money and dont want to claim jsa as I left the job. I am looking for another job while getting help with my anxiety. I need help with my rent and council tax but dont know if I will be able to get any help. Also I am claiming working tax credits but will i be able to claim tax credits when my entitlement to working tax credits has ended as i have a daughter. please can anyone help with any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now