Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Non-resident for tax and coming back to UK for mat leave?

(3 Posts)
Zorra Tue 19-Feb-13 15:01:04

Thanks, Special. Well try that smile

specialsubject Mon 18-Feb-13 16:25:07

split year treatment for each, I think. Consult the tax people once the current 'I didn't realise it was going to be the end of January' thing has died down, you'll never get through at the moment.

Zorra Mon 18-Feb-13 12:32:20

So, it's a little bit complicated... All advice gratefully received, even if it is to whom I should actually ask these questions!

I am non-resident for tax as I work in Africa, employed by a European charity. I was NR for the tax year 2008-09 then back in the UK, then NR since October 2011. I had split year treatment for 2011-12, and will be out for the full 12-13 tax year.

I am expecting DC2, and want to come back to UK for my maternity leave (or at least a significant portion of it) which is six months. I am confused by the 90 day rule, and the 183 day allowance as I can't work out when each on applies, and if it makes a difference that I won't have been NR for two full consecutive tax years. I also wondered if it makes more sense to be resident for the six months and pay tax on my mat pay, and whether I can apply for split year treatment again when I return to work (all being well) in September?

FYI, I have private health care etc etc so am not proposing to come and be a burden on the state during my leave, but there's no way I would deliver a baby in the country where I work!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now