Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

will i be able to pay my bills!!!!!

(6 Posts)
gtedder1 Thu 14-Feb-13 21:12:27

thank you, yourhandinmyhand. my bills are going to be paid via DD. i am not sure if this can be changed to payment cards. i also will do away with the landline and sky. Then there's tv licence and groceries. i am thinking about getting a part time job. No, LIZS, i am not getting maintenance payments. DH has been buying nappies, and essentials for our son. I think he may start paying now though as it will be easier.

LIZS Wed 13-Feb-13 17:31:57

Not specifically Housing Benefit and Council tax Benefit are probably the only ones , you need to tell the council you are only adult living there too. Will Dh pay maintenance ?

YourHandInMyHand Wed 13-Feb-13 17:26:10

I'd think as well about what will work best for you in terms of how you pay your bills. When I was in a similar situation a few years ago I changed form direct debits to payment cards, and by chance moved into a house with prepayment meters.

Having things like water and TV licence on a payment card means I can pay weekly OR monthly, and don't get any bank charges if the DDebit goes out before my child tax credit goes in.

I also reviewed my mobile phone contract when it was due for renewal and got a very cheap monthly deal. I do without a home phone which is one less bill, didn't have sky before the split but again I just view it as an additional unnecessary bill.

Most job centres have a lone parent advisor an they can do you a better off in work calculation. My lone parent advisor has always been really helpful. smile

I remember worrying I wouldn't be able to pay the bills but turns out by being in sole charge of all finances I could live a LOT cheaper and I manage just fine.

gtedder1 Wed 13-Feb-13 17:19:09


CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 13-Feb-13 10:45:30

You could try running your new circumstances through the Benefit Checker, including rent and council tax figures, and seeing what additional help is available for accommodation. Housing Benefit (if applicable) is determined locally.

gtedder1 Wed 13-Feb-13 10:36:36

hiya. i am a single mum to my one year old DS. I seperated from my DH 4 Months ago, moved out of our rented property and stayed with an old friend since. I am now going to go back home as DH is moving out. However, i am abit worried as to whether i will be able to cope with paying the bills and buyong groceries...etc. i know my rent will be paid for by the council. i dont work at the moment but i am considering part time work as i think i may be better off. At the moment i get income support, child tax credits and child benefit. is there any other help available towards the cost of bills? Any advice would be much appreciated. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now