Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Kids surnames/birth certificates

(3 Posts)
Poseypink Fri 08-Feb-13 16:58:35

Great, thank you! smile)

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 08-Feb-13 08:47:05

There's some information here on what amendments are permitted and in what circumstances for birth certificates. If you are not a couple in that you don't co-habit then there would be no implication for benefits. If he pays maintenance for the children that would also not affect things like CTC.

Poseypink Thu 07-Feb-13 21:49:42

Hi, im new to the site but really need a bit of advice if anyone can help.
I am a single parent with 2 kids. I wasnt with the kids father wen they were born. Basically he had went to travel abroad, we separated, then i found out i was pregnant. I registered my oldest's birth but as he was abroad, his name wasnt put on the birth certificate. I didnt put his name on my youngest's either (loooong storey!) we havent been a couple since before our kids were born. But he is now involved in the kids lives which is great. But what i wanted to know is, if i now put his name on ther birth certificates & even possibly change ther surnames to his (big discussion ther!) will this affect my benefits as a single parent?? I currently get income support & CTC. We arent together as a couple, so i suppose i am still a single parent technically but does anyone know can i do this without a huge hassle & getting my payments cut?? Thanks!! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now