Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mil returning to Uk from Spain

(3 Posts)
allotmentgirl82 Tue 05-Feb-13 19:42:36

thank you. she does have a ni number.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Feb-13 15:33:53

There's free movement of labour within the EU, your MIL is British and presumably has a NI number, so there should be no problem about her working. Yes, she'll probably go on an emergency tax-code when she first gets a job but sometimes this can be corrected during employment. If she pays too much tax she can go to the HMRC website and get a form to reclaim overpaid tax.

allotmentgirl82 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:19:51

Hi all
My MIL is returning to Uk from Spain after 6 years as she was made redundant and cannot find a new job.
She owns her home out there so no mortgage to pay.
MIL will be staying with us initially, then with her sister as she has more room.
As she has a Uk passport she will be ok to work over here. How will it work with her tax code? Will she be on an emergency tax code?
MIL is only planning to stay whilst she saves enough money to live off, then will return to Spain. If she pays emergency tax, how will she get it back?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now