Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Partner's gas and electric arrears

(5 Posts)
LIZS Sat 02-Feb-13 11:25:26

You need to ask the utility company to transfer the account into your name and give actual readings but they may not be prepared to close the account in his name unless it is paid off or you agree to take over the balance.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 02-Feb-13 11:19:11

If I were you I would talk to someone like CAB about this. Personal debts are personal debts but, as the utility bills are registered to your address and he is no longer living there, that could complicate matters slightly. Have you told the utility company that he has moved out?

Ikeameatballs Fri 01-Feb-13 17:24:54

Yes, I understand I used the utilities too. I hoped that only he could be pursued as they are in his name? How would I go about starting the new account when he has these debts?

specialsubject Fri 01-Feb-13 16:38:29

hate to say this, but you used the gas and electric too so you'll have a job getting rid of this debt. Unless there is some way of proving that you gave him money to pay it, which he didn't?

but do start a new account when he leaves, as you should with everything - it all goes in your name only.

Ikeameatballs Fri 01-Feb-13 14:30:14

My p (soon to be ex but he doesn't know yet) as, I have discovered allowed arrears of 1k to develop on the gas and electric account which is in his name solely.
Is it possible for me to start a new account, once he is no longer living here, and for the arrears to be pursued as his debt only?? The house is owned in both our names but, ideally, he will be coming off the deeds and mortgage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now