Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I have some pension advice on behalf of my recently widowed dad please?

(5 Posts)
sensesworkingovertime Thu 31-Jan-13 16:45:04

Hi, my dad became a widower last week. Now that the initial shock and raw grief are easing a little he is turning to practical matters. Obviously we are aware that my mum's pension stops but does anyone know if my dad's pension gets altered now? Many thanks in advance for advice.

brainonastick Thu 31-Jan-13 16:51:46

I'm sorry for your loss sad

Re the pension, it totally depends on what kind it was. The only way to find out would be to look at the paperwork, or ring the provider. A phrase like '50% spouse's pension would mean that your dad would continue to get the pension at 50% of the amount.

It is also possible to buy a guarantee with a pension, to cover death within the first 5 or 10 years, so that might also apply.

You will need to contact the pension provider in any case to advise them of your mother's death, so they should be able to advise you as to what happens from here.

If you are talking about the state pension rather than a private (personal or company) pension...that's where I'm hazy, I'm sure someone else can advise on that.

sensesworkingovertime Thu 31-Jan-13 19:26:15

Oh thank you but yes it is the state pension I mean.

brainonastick Thu 31-Jan-13 19:38:52

Doh, sorry.

Try the Pensions Advisory Service helpline - its a state funded free service, they should be able to help...
0845 601 2923

sensesworkingovertime Fri 01-Feb-13 14:11:07

Thanks so much for your help Brain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now