Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can/what benefits can I claim?

(8 Posts)
GingerPCatt Thu 31-Jan-13 08:49:40

I just recently quit my job since we had to move to be closer to dh's job. I'm not a British citizen, but on a marriage visa. I've worked for about 8 years before now without any gaps. I'm looking for work but there's not a lot in my field at the mo. Any extra income would be very handy to tide us over until I can find a new job. I've never claimed any benefits except for ds so I'm not sure what (if anything) I'm entitled to or how to claim it.

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jan-13 08:51:34

Ginger check your visa. It should say "no recourse to public funds" on it. This means you are not entitled to any benefits, though you can claim Child Benefit for example, because it is for the children, not you.

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jan-13 08:52:47

If you already have ILR though, then it won't say that and you can get yourself down to the Jobcentre, but others will be able to give you more info about that.

stubbornstains Thu 31-Jan-13 09:00:12

If you do have "recourse to public funds", check

I'm not sure you'd be entitled to JSA if your OH is working, but there is the possibility of tax credits, and maybe some Housing Benefit, if his income is low enough.

GingerPCatt Thu 31-Jan-13 10:56:41

I do have right to remain. I'll check out the website when ds has a nap. Thanks!

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jan-13 11:42:51

Yes, but your visa may specify "no recourse to public funds" on it. They are 2 different things. Just because you have the right to live here does not automatically allow you to claim benefits.

If you are on a 2 year spouse visa, or have been given a limited period spouse visa after first applying for it post-July 2012, you will not be able to claim benefits.

If you have Indefinite Leave to Remain then you do not have a spouse visa and you can claim whatever you are eligible to.

Trazzletoes Thu 31-Jan-13 12:21:21

Doh. Am I being thick, by saying you have the right to remain do you mean you have ILR? That'll be ok then <butts out>

ILoveTIFFANY Thu 31-Jan-13 13:11:13

Try looking for work 'outside' your field? No need to claim anything then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now