Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

car insurance-haven't cancelled my renewal

(5 Posts)
headlesshorseman Sun 20-Jan-13 18:10:43

My car insurance is due to renew tomorrow, and I haven't cancelled the renewal with the old company. I have already bought insurance with an alternative company (who were over £100 cheaper)
Can I phone them tomorrow and cancel or will they charge me? Do you still get the cooling off period when you renew, the same as when you take out a new policy? What else can I do? I tried to phone several times today but couldnt get through.
Help!

MrsMiniversCharlady Sun 20-Jan-13 18:19:43

It depends on the company. I forgot to cancel my renewal until the date the new policy started and they charged me (can't remember which company off hand). However, when I wrote in with a copy of my new insurance certificate showing I had been covered at the time they took the charge off.

headlesshorseman Sun 20-Jan-13 21:34:15

thanks
I really hope they don't try and charge me, I shall try and ring them tomorrow and be on hold for an hour

FatimaLovesBread Sun 20-Jan-13 21:35:28

DH did this last year, he rang on the day and they cancelled it as the payment hasn't been taken yet

headlesshorseman Wed 23-Jan-13 00:16:18

sorted smile thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now