Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

oh been made redundant :(

(12 Posts)
emlou83 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:30:04

can anyone give me any advice??
oh got made redundant in december after 14 year with the same company. he came out with just under 5000, after paying off a few bills/car insurance etc we have £2000 left sad

what are we entitled to benefit wise?
i work 22 hours per week 6.80 per hour
3 dcs. dc1 is 10 and we get middle rate dla for him, i used to get carers but because im over the earning threshold we are still eligible but dont get now sad
i have been told its classed as an underlying entitlement???not sure what that means.
we are council tenants.
oh earned over the wtc allowance from april -dec sad so dont think we will qualify for free school meals etc....

any advice grealty appreciated smile

DeepRedBetty Sat 12-Jan-13 13:32:48

So sorry for OH's bad news.

There's a nifty benefit calculator, somewhere on directgov website. It's completely anonymous too, so you needn't worry about making mistakes.

Will go and have a look for it.

DeepRedBetty Sat 12-Jan-13 13:34:05

This one

emlou83 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:50:13

thanks it reliable?

emlou83 Sat 12-Jan-13 13:51:36

it doesnt ask for any of oh previous income confused

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 12-Jan-13 14:55:29

Here's another benefit calculator. Complete with your current circumstances rather than last year's details. Tax Credits, for example, are based on the previous tax year but, if there's been a big change in circumstances (which there has been) then the award takes that into account.

When you get to the end of the questionnaire it will point you in the direction of where to make applications. Staff at your local Job Centre can help him further if necessary. Good luck.

thicksocks Sat 12-Jan-13 14:57:58

Your OH can apply for the Carers Allowance in his name. The earnings threshold is £100pw but it applies to individuals, not households.

Let the tax credits know about the change in circumstances. Make sure they're aware that your dc1 gets MR DLA as that will increase his tax credits allowance. You might be able to get some housing benefit and council tax benefit, the benefits calculator will help you work it out.

RedHelenB Sat 12-Jan-13 19:54:24

If you can up your hours to 24 you would get working tax credits I think.

RedHelenB Sat 12-Jan-13 19:57:04

If he signs on then the first 6 months should be based on his national insurance contributions so your income doesn't matter plus he will be able to get help finding work. Get him to do it online.

emlou83 Sat 12-Jan-13 20:09:36

thanks for links smile
oh wont be able to claim carers if he is on jsa contribution based as its an overlapping benefit sad
just really dont know how to manage with the drop in wages .

DeepRedBetty Sun 13-Jan-13 13:27:08

Sorry haven't been on for a day or two. Good luck, I don't think I can offer any more practical advice other than what you've already received.

emlou83 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:24:43

thanks smile just really trying to cut down and be sensible .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now