Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are you left with at the end of a month?

(6 Posts)
runforestrun Mon 07-Jan-13 12:15:48

I'm recently seperated and moving back in to my house - which I was renting out, and the extra income was very handy.

I've done my calculations and its going to be a real struggle to save anything after everything is taken care of each month.

Anyone else in similar situation? any ideas?

(I'm doing 2 jobs already!! )

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 07-Jan-13 13:43:29

Some months lots, other months nothing at all. I try to budget only 90% of my income and save the other 10%. I'd start to feel uncomfortable if I had less than 5% left on too regular a basis. No matter how well I budget there are always extra expenses that crop up and, without a fall-back, I'd have to take on loans etc which always ends in disaster.

If you can't increase your income the only option is to look at all your costs and see which are hitting you hardest and which can be reduced.

Mum2Fergus Mon 07-Jan-13 16:16:24

It varies month on month for me...past 3 months Ive managed £500, £500 and £1500, but Im being extra frugal in anticipation of house move. In a normal month I average between £100-300.

Rockchick1984 Mon 07-Jan-13 23:49:22

On paper, we spend everything we have coming in each month. We are on a tight budget but I always manage to put at least £50 into savings each month, usually £100 - this pays for things like Christmas, car service and MOT etc so although not long term savings we have an emergency fund at all times.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 08-Jan-13 00:00:24

The trick is to save at the beginning of the month and treat it like any other direct debit or expense. If I leave money in the current account then it will often get spent, whereas if it isn't there then it can't be.

Mum2Fergus Tue 08-Jan-13 17:46:14

Totally agree Ali. In the past Ive saved whatever I had left the day before payday. But for past few months Ive put away a lump sum in payday and budgeted to whats left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now