Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sorry another CB question this time about state pension entitlement

(8 Posts)
pleasestoptalking Sat 05-Jan-13 17:55:56

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I am a sahm. We will lose the CB but we haven't received a letter yet. I feel we may as well opt out but I'm confused about what it means for my state pension entitlement. The HM Revenue & Customs site points out that as we have received CB I have built up credits towards my state pension but it fails to tell us what happens now as we are no longer eligible.

Does it make any difference to my credits if we claim the CB then pay it back in tax or not?

What does this mean for my future pension?

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-13 20:49:05

Makes no difference to pension whether you receive CB payments or not.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sat 05-Jan-13 22:23:04

you can still claim for CB but not take the payment as it says here:

If you decide to stop your Child Benefit payments it won't affect your entitlement to Child Benefit. As long as you, or your partner, are entitled to receive it you should still fill in a Child Benefit claim form if you have not already done so. This is because entitlement to Child Benefit:

*can help you qualify for National Insurance credits that can protect your entitlement to State Pension
*can help protect your entitlement to other benefits such as Guardian's Allowance
*ensures your child is automatically issued with a National Insurance number before their 16th birthday

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sat 05-Jan-13 22:23:53

p.s. if you are opting out you need to do it by 7th jan

bluebiscuit Sat 05-Jan-13 22:55:22

You still have a claim but the amount of it is zero. So no implications for your state pension if you choose to stop the payments.

bluebiscuit Sat 05-Jan-13 22:56:40

Oh and the letters are not particularly well targeted. Even if you don't get a letter, they still expect you to take action by 7th Jan if you want the payments stopped.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Sat 05-Jan-13 23:12:20

and they havent actually sent letters to hundreds of thousands of people yet!

pleasestoptalking Sun 06-Jan-13 07:21:01

Thank you for your responses. Very helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now