Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Husband returning to full time university, financial help available?

(25 Posts)
Bluestocking Mon 07-Jan-13 10:40:27

OP, as far as I'm aware, most PGCE courses will only take people with a 2:1. Has your OH thought about what he'll do if he doesn't get a place on the PGCE?

yerblurt Mon 07-Jan-13 10:34:35

Hmmm. for some reason can't PM the OP.

Rummer999 could you PM me please, have a few questions about finances for teacher training, thanks!

yerblurt Mon 07-Jan-13 10:29:33

I'd be really interested in the financial side of things - it's something I'm considering, teaching. Think I'd be good at it.

I had a science background (BSc, MSc) and would be able to teach biology/computer science - but also understand you can specialise in other subjects that are in shortage (such as chemistry) and receive a larger bursary. I'll PM the OP about this.

ILoveTIFFANY Sun 06-Jan-13 16:55:38

You can get it on mortgaged properties too...

TheSecondComing Sat 05-Jan-13 22:11:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ILoveTIFFANY Sat 05-Jan-13 12:32:51

It's NOTHING to do with being in a council house AT all.... It's I'll informed rubbish like this that fuels 'council house envy'

People from all walks of lives and with differing incomes can live in social housing. Teachers, police officers, unemployed,pensioners.... Please educate yourself!! And not pass on such rubbish from a 'friend'

Rummer999 Sat 05-Jan-13 12:01:19

RUGBUGS....I'm so glad you have responded, I'll PM you.x

Rummer999 Sat 05-Jan-13 11:58:15

IloveTiffany & LIZS Sorry, don't mean to make any sweeping statements. Our friends got full funding for their OU 5 yrs ago as they were out of work in a council house paid for monthly by the council! It has probably changed now! Sorry.

Id just like to clarify a couple of things because I may not of been too clear originally.
My husband has been studying part time with the OU at home while working full time. He is the main bread winner. I work too but my wages doesn't even cover the mortgage. I work at home so childcare isn't an issue.
At this time, we wont know if my hubby has a place on the full time PGCE until June/July. If he gets a place on it, he will leave his full time job and start PGCE later in September. Apparently, any student loans or grants are offered then.
This is the only understanding I have of the student system.
I hope im making better sense, i'm not good on forums i'll admit. Just looking for some positive advice so we can research more and be ready;)

ILoveTIFFANY Sat 05-Jan-13 11:51:13

I'm still wondering about the council house meaning you automatically get help....... Anyone?

flowerytaleofNewYork Sat 05-Jan-13 11:31:52

Who's lecturing you?

It sounded from your OP as though your husband had already unilaterally made the significant financial decision to give up full time work as the main breadwinner supporting a family without consulting you and you as a family working out whether you could afford it. That would be a really major issue for me. Maybe it isn't for you, or maybe I've understood the situation incorrectly.

Either way, once you've got a family to support and a mortgage or rent on a family home to pay, full time study is a luxury. It's not like when you're 18 and can live on beans and toast or whatever, so if I were to lecture anyone, it would be your husband for making vague plans without considering the financial viability or impact on the family properly.

But as I say, I may have understood incorrectly, and I hope you as a family can work out a way you can afford it.

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-13 11:18:44

Think that is a rather sweeping statement ! If he already has a degree then funding for any FE is very limited regardless.

ILoveTIFFANY Sat 05-Jan-13 11:07:43

If you were in a council house why would you get help?

Could you explain that?

Moominsarehippos Sat 05-Jan-13 11:06:47

I would check if he could switch to part time. Maybe complete it with the OU? A lot of employers like people who have studies part time as they have 'done other things with their lives'. I would have loved to go back full time but there was no way we could have afforded it and then had to wait until I got another job.

My last pt degree took 4 years, 2 evenings a week. My last postgrad was a professional qualification and was 2 evenings for 2 years. I also did a chunk of an OU one which was about 20 hours a week.

RugBugs Sat 05-Jan-13 11:05:21

Hi, we're a year on from you but our DC are much younger.
DP is doing a shortage subject so gets £1200 a month bursary based on his 2:2 (also in history) and the rest is paid in three instalments.
We get £3000 each instalment which includes a small amount of student loan, maintenance grant and the access to learning fund (for parents). There is also an adult dependant grant which I think is about £2500 for the year but as DP isn't quite 25 we don't get it.
I also work from home and we use my hours for tax credits purposes.

The directgov website was really good for calculating what grants we'd be able to get.

LIZS Sat 05-Jan-13 11:01:38

Is it a FT course , I year or longer? Can he find pt job to fit around it ? tbh funding is often only available for training those with minimal qualifications to enter the workplace so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Gumby Sat 05-Jan-13 10:59:59

Yes history secondary teachers aren't in short supply
Are you prepared to move for if he can't get a job locally?

Moominsarehippos Sat 05-Jan-13 10:58:30

Can't he do it part time? I did a degree any my post grads part time and got good grades, and I was able to work part time so kept earning, paying into pension, got holiday pay and healthcare...

Rummer999 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:57:47

RedhelenB. Yes, I think your right! Its such a huge step. Ironically if we were on income support or in a council house we would get help! Im so proud of my husband, he's come a long way, I just wish he would open up more about the cost of it because im a bit in the dark! But, we'll get through im sure smile

ILoveTIFFANY Sat 05-Jan-13 10:55:43

I wouldn't be surprised if financial help for luxuries, such as adult further education, won't be cut too.

Rummer999 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:53:41

Thank you so much, I'll take your advise on boardsmile

Rummer999 Sat 05-Jan-13 10:51:50

Flowerytaleofnewyork your absolutely right...yes financial plans are joint and as I did say, I plan to go out to work, however, my oh doesn't like discussing our financial plans!! Hense the post in the first place for advice from others not a lecture!

flowerytaleofNewYork Sat 05-Jan-13 09:31:01

"His" financial plans?

I understand some people have separate finances but even so, surely if you are living as a family financial plans are joint, and a big decision like whether you as a family can afford for the main breadwinner to give up work is one that can only be made jointly? confused

Waswondering Sat 05-Jan-13 09:29:50

Contact the student support people at your uni. You may be surprised at what help is available especially if he will have childcare costs. He may need to take out a student loan to access financial help (certainly at the uni I work at in Scotland). Also could you take a mortgage holiday for 6m from say October, to help you put over the winter?

Watch out with tax credits - if he's a student he may fall into a black hole of not being at work ....

Good luck to him.

RedHelenB Sat 05-Jan-13 09:20:30

Think you will be reliant on working tax credits & your wage tbh. Is it secondary History teaching your dh wants to do because that isn't a shortage subject so won't attract any extra money. He should be entitled to a student loan though & maybe a grant (means tested)

Rummer999 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:37:34

I need some assurances from people who have been and who are in my situation. I have a small home business earning what I like to call 'pocket money' while I look after my 3 children, 14, 12 and 4yrs. My OH has been working full time whilst studying with the OU in his spare time at home. This year, he has to apply and get a place at one of the 2 universities that do a PGCE course commencing end of September. I'm getting in a state of panic because when I ask my OH what his financial plans are once he gets a place and starts uni, he can't give me a straight answer and I know this is because, he doesn't really know!! He can apply for grants etc..but their no guarantee and bursaries are dependent on final grade. I think he's heading for a 2.2 in History. I have supported my OH all the way, but now I can't see past august this year. I will be looking for a job that pays more than my Home business if i have to.
We have a Mortgage and the usual monthly rubbish to pay and we do get a little help from tax credits but, I don't want to have to scrounge for money, I just want to know what's out there for people like us who go back to full time education to better ourselves when we also have dependants and a mortgage?

Please help someone and point me in the right direction.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: