Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credit question

(11 Posts)
LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 16:04:13

If i am a single mum.

Have 2 children

Want to take a TA job that is paid between 14,241 and 16,144 but is part time and for 17.5 hours per week

What would i recieve in tax credits?

Maths was never my strongest subject and i am tying myself in knots!

Many Thanks if you can help!

Rockchick1984 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:09:11

Go on and it'll work it out for you smile

LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 21:34:14

I tried but couldn't do it.

LadyMaryChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 21:38:33

17.5 is half full time hours, so use the lower figure of 7, 120 as your income (unless you're qualified and have bags of experience). It should be a full entitlement to tax credits or there about as it's not a great deal of money. It will affect housing/council tax benefit though.

DeafLeopard Wed 02-Jan-13 21:39:55

IIRC TAs don't get paid holidays so it will actually be 75% of the £7120 that LadyMary mentioned as you only get paid for 40 weeks.

LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 22:16:44

so £5340? is what i should enter?

LadyMaryChristmas Wed 02-Jan-13 22:20:16


LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 22:29:25

is it correct as it seems to be saying that i wouldn't pay tax or national insurance?

LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 22:34:14

i can't answer the pension question! should i just put zero?

Llareggub Wed 02-Jan-13 22:38:16

You'll automatically join the council pension scheme unless you opt out. You'll contribute approximately 6% of your salary I think.

LittleBoSqueak Wed 02-Jan-13 22:52:45

Thankyou for helping me!

(I found the answers to the tax and NI questions)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: