Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Old Parent - Query re benefits

(5 Posts)
RichPetunia Tue 18-Dec-12 18:23:08

My Dad lived with his mum for many years. He bought the house they stayed in and put it in joint names. My Gran has now moved out to stay with one of her other children and is about to sign her half of the house over to my Dad. My query is this - As my Dad receives old age pension and DLA, will this affect his benefits?

pippop1 Tue 18-Dec-12 18:35:19

He will get a 25% reduction in council tax for occupying the property on his own I believe. Don't know about the benefits situation I'm afraid. CAB? office.

allshakenup Wed 19-Dec-12 01:34:29

DLA and the state pension aren't means-tested so they shouldn't be affected. The home he lives in is not usually counted as capital. He might even get an increase as a person receiving DLA who is living at home (ask about the severe disability premium for adults living alone). I would contact Age UK, CAB are helpful but really under pressure at the moment.

CogitOCrapNotMoreSprouts Wed 19-Dec-12 06:46:23

Your Dad could run his details through a very good online benefits checker at Owning his own home shouldn't affect either DLA or the state pension.

OodKingWenceslas Wed 19-Dec-12 07:48:51

Could affect inheritance tax if she died within a set period. Only if her estate is over the limit though

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: