Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Ex has all the paperwork...what do I do??

(7 Posts)
foolonthehill Wed 05-Dec-12 22:05:47


MummytoKatie Wed 05-Dec-12 20:18:54

Are any of your bills online? Do you know the password? Could you get them that way?

Or if your name was on them could you phone up the company and ask them to send you a copy?

Another option is to ring Inland Revenue and ask what to do.

If you earns £11k then your tax will be roughly £1k if you had no expenses. So it is worth it for you trying to cut it down but you are not going to be tracked by a team of tax specialists if you get the number a bit wrong as it just won't be worth it to them.

foolonthehill Wed 05-Dec-12 12:24:43

I have been filing a return for a few years now and don't have an issue with the actual work involved (other than the time it takes!!)...the problem is that I have no records of bills this year due to my twat ex removing all the paperwork. I could fill in the figures more or less but would not have proof if ever asked for records.

Thanks Mr A and all of you

MrAnchovy Wed 05-Dec-12 11:50:53

This is one of the few circumstances where HMRC will allow estimates. I'd recommend you get an accountant to help you as they will be able to position something so HMRC will accept it (although probably not without a bit of negotiation).

Oh, I've just read the rest of your post. I can't advertise my services here, but you might like to send me a message.

Alternatively, the charity TaxAid may be able to help.

QuietTiger Wed 05-Dec-12 11:28:25

If you can afford it, it might be worth in this instance using an accountant to help you. The reason is because there are certain things you can automatically allow for (as you will know) and they will be able to advise you.

for e.g. I work from home, have a home office, use internet/phone etc. I therefore always allow 1/3 of my utilities as a tax deductible expense for my business.

RedHelenB Tue 04-Dec-12 16:22:47

It won't be much tax tbn.

foolonthehill Tue 04-Dec-12 14:21:28

I'm usually on the relationships board as was in an abusive marriage with a lazy, controlling so and so for a "D"H. He left October 23rd 2011, we are still married. He is not allowed contact with me or the DC...but here's my problem:

He took all the household and work paperwork with him, we are both self employed (one of us actually working...other not so much!!!).

I am trying to (honestly) fill in my tax return for 2011/12 and am ok for income but not for allowable expenses as no records.

I work 37 hours a week over 4 days as a childminder and earned 11,000 before deductions. I guess i could just suck it up and pay tax but am not exactly rolling in money and could do without the bill.

PS I have 4 young DCs who I am looking after on my own both practically and financially.

thanks wise ones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now