Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

benefits and getting them for the first time. please help

(12 Posts)
cheapandchic Wed 28-Nov-12 14:08:42

got a cab appointment at childrens centre. thanks for that tip!

the housing benefit is tricky because we are renting from a family member. but i am hoping for at least some tax credit

accordiongirl Wed 28-Nov-12 02:13:21

Nothing useful to add only to wish you good luck! Hope things get onto a stronger footing soon.

MegTheCat Tue 27-Nov-12 20:34:14

Try your local council for housing benefit - it covers council tax as well as rent so applies to most people. Get in touch with them asap as they don't normally backdate, but will count your claim from when you contact them - don't wait for the CAB. Good luck!

Xenia Tue 27-Nov-12 09:04:14

Good luck with it and keep trying. Trying writing to all kinds of random people who employ a lot of people, go if you can get the time to their reception areas, send letters speculatively, go on sites like and bid for work, put notes through neighbours' doors or in richer areas offering to babysit, clean etc. That seems to work around here but may not in other areas.

cheapandchic Sun 25-Nov-12 17:35:19

I wish I could find a job that would support my family!! I am applying luck.

Xenia Sun 25-Nov-12 16:26:18

Well if he cannot support the family and you could then he will just have to put up with not feeling comfortable not working and looking after small chidlren is very hard work. You might find you enjoy life a lot more if you have an interesting job to go to and he is doing all the cleaning and childcare at home. It is UK 2012. Many men who cannot or choose not to support a family do all the childcare.

Anyway certainly you and he should do a tax credits application although if income is going to go up again then you may need to repay them. Also make sure he and you do it together as he will be likely to have the accounts for the business and tax returns so know the precise figures for income.

cheapandchic Sun 25-Nov-12 15:40:08

we have never claimed tax credits. I guess we should start now.

I would love to go back to work. But so far I cant get a job. I have been husband would stay home but only briefly. He is just not comfortable 'not working'

Good idea about the childrens centre...

Rockchick1984 Sat 24-Nov-12 10:24:42

A lot of Surestart children's centres offer CAB appointments, give your local centre a call and see if you can get an appointment there to save having to queue. If not though, I'd just go and queue!

dashoflime Sat 24-Nov-12 09:32:42

Hi Cheapandchic,

Do you work at all?

If that 12,000 is the only family income you should be entitled to quite a lot of tax credits. £7,997.20 per year in Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit combined, by my calculations.

If you already receive tax credits, you need to let them know about your drop in income so they can recalculate. If not, I think making a claim would be a good idea. More info is here
In the first instance they calculate tax credits on last years income but you can request that they use this years instead.

Do you rent or own your own home? How much are your housing costs? If you have a very high rent Housing Benefit may be a possibility.

Do you have a mortgage, bank loan or credit cards? It might be possible to negotiate a payment holiday or lower repayments. You may need to brave the queue at the CAB for this (it will be well worth doing!) or you can find information here

Good luck

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 24-Nov-12 09:25:58

I'd recommend you check out this link to the Turn2Us Benefits Checker. Fill in the questionnaire as best you can with the details of your income and family size etc. It should then point you in the direction of what state help is available and where to apply. The local Job Centre is another good source of information

Good luck

Xenia Sat 24-Nov-12 09:15:31

If he cannot support the family why don't you go back to full time work and he do the childcare which might work better as he has not done too well with keeping you all. That might be the quickest best solution and most women are happier when they work full time anyway.

If he won't or you could not get any sort of job even a weekend or evening one or night job, then if his net earnings are £10k and if you both do not have savings over £6000 I think you may b e able to claim housing benefit to help with housing. You may already get tax credits as you have children but they might increase now income is low. It is probably not sensible just to give up his business and go fully on benefits as long term that tends not to do people much good.

COuld you also take in a lodger and move the chidlren into your bed room for a while just until there is more money available?

cheapandchic Sat 24-Nov-12 09:00:52

my husband owns his owns business and has gone from making 40k to making about 12k. we have two children (2.5 and 1) and to say we are struggling is an understatement. so far my family has been helping but they cannot afford to give us any more.

The CAB near me seems to make people wait all day to get in the door. Is there any other place where I can get information and advice about getting help. What do I need to know? My husband is too proud to do this and I am not from this country originally so I have no idea how it all works.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now