Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I get ANY financial help????

(28 Posts)
Smeeeinit Sun 18-Nov-12 10:43:00

I am self employed earning around 7.5k , I have one son still living at home,aged 20 who was made redundant a year ago and hasn't found work since sad he is in receipt of JSA but it just doesn't cut it!
He's struggling,I'm struggling!
Is there ANY help I can get financially whilst he's job seeking?
I get £33 a week tax credits hmm

ssd Mon 19-Nov-12 22:35:56


lisad123 Mon 19-Nov-12 22:42:02

£7.5k a year for a CM, I take it your places aren't all filled other worse it would be alot more. Any chance your ds could sign on as your helper and allow you to take on more children?

dotnet Thu 22-Nov-12 18:13:41

I think joanofarchitrave's suggestions are pretty good - other 'places' he could try with an offer of competitively priced haircuts might be local groups like residents' associations, University of the Third Age (U3A) and churches, all of which are likely to issue newsletters and might be happy to put in a piece for him. Maybe he can find someone to put up a postcard ad on noticeboards at local universities - students will be likely to be interested. There'll be plenty of other things to try as well, if you think hard about it, and don't give up. On the web, see if Gumtree might be worthwhile (and affordable).

cogito's recommendation that you look at the online benefit calculator is a must. A few weeks ago I got housing benefit for an old neighbour of mine, he's in his eighties and now has his rent paid for in full. It was looking at the benefit calculator which tipped me off that he qualified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now