Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Recently Single... no idea where to start with benefits... Pls help.

(12 Posts)
rahrahthelion Fri 16-Nov-12 13:30:51


Any help would be really appreciated. I have one six year old and live with my ex still, although he will be moving out in a couple of months as he doesn;t want to be with me anymore.

He doesn't give me any money or support me financially at all (child isn't his)so first question; can I start claiming now?

Secondly, where the hell do I start?? I'm so confused and can't find any phone numbers to help other than CAB which just rings and rings then hangs up saying all lines are busy.

I do work (40 hours a week as a CM) but my income is low and I am self employed. I am worried that as I earned about 42k last year (different job which I left through stressfullness and wanting to speand time with my DD) and all the forms ask me for my 11/12 earnings then tell me I'm entitled to nothing. Even my earnings this tax year to date don't reflect my current situation as I've already earned £20k from my previous job... I'm really stuck, panicking and I've no one to help me. No one I know claims benefits and evryone just looks at me blankly or judging if I start to talk about it... I think everyone assumes if I'm not with my partner that I'll just go back to full time work. But even that may not be the answer because it is commission based and I won;t earn enough for a few months to cover everything.. The break up has been really hard for everyone, I don't feel that I can return to my stressful career, I'm having serious anxiety, panic attacks and my DD needs me here too. Please help.

Rockchick1984 Fri 16-Nov-12 14:14:21

Sorry to hear about your separation. I'll try to advise you on the different issues you've got.

1. It's technically possible to still claim while living with your ex, however you are on shaky ground as its very difficult to prove that you are no longer a couple. If you know there is no chance of a reconciliation I personally would be telling him that he needs to move out now as you don't want to get into a situation where you are suspected of benefit fraud.

2. How old is your DD? Is she in any sort of childcare, or do you have her yourself?

3. What did you earn last tax year? What are you expecting to earn in total this tax year? Tax credits will do an in-year adjustment and calculate on this year's estimates income, however they will use your full tax year income for this not just your current income.

RedHelenB Fri 16-Nov-12 18:24:22

Does ds father not pay any maintenance?

rahrahthelion Fri 16-Nov-12 22:36:46

Hi, thx so my much. Dds dad does pay maintenance but not much as Lower income.
I earned 42k last year. This year I've earned 21k so far (march-present) but am now only earning £900 a month working 40 hours a week as a childminder (minus expenses) and I have no child care expenses

Rockchick1984 Fri 16-Nov-12 23:02:16

You may come in at slightly under the threshold for tax credits and get a small amount, but as you have earned a lot already this tax year it won't be much. On this year's income you wouldn't get any other help eg housing benefit etc, so realistically you need to look at ways to lower your outgoings at least until April when you can update your income details with Tax Credits for the next tax year. If the £900 per month is your gross income you will get loads of help next tax year.

Alternatively to help you out until April, would your ex be willing to pay rent while he is still living with you? If not could you take in a lodger even just until April when your benefits will increase?

Do you have savings from when you were in your old job? £42k was a good salary so were you putting some aside for the future, this would be something I'd recommend spending if necessary for now.

LittleTyga Fri 16-Nov-12 23:09:06

pop in your details and it gives you an estimate

RedHelenB Sat 17-Nov-12 07:11:14

On 900 a month you won't get loads of help but you will get some working tax credits.

rahrahthelion Sat 17-Nov-12 07:25:52

I don't understand how to manage on 900 a month... Rent round here is 800 minimum on two beds, plus bills I'd be in the red before ice even started. No savings, sadly I had no idea my relationship was going to end so I was too busy enjoying the fruits of my labour...

BettySuarez Sat 17-Nov-12 07:27:37

Is the £900 per month gross income or net?

Presumably as a childminder you are self employed and have outgoings to cover? So your actual pay may be a lot lower which will hopefully increase your entitlement to tax credits

How much do you actually pay yourself each month?

rahrahthelion Sat 17-Nov-12 09:02:54

Sorry, it's gross, expenses are around 300/400. I put 22% of what's left aside for tax.

BettySuarez Sat 17-Nov-12 12:24:50

So your net income per month is approx £550, that will make a big difference to your entitlement.

Also, aren't you below the tax threshold on that? smile

rahrahthelion Sat 17-Nov-12 17:09:23

Hiya, thanks - yeah I guess it does. But not for this year as I've already earned over the threshold...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: