Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help with Mileage Claim please

(5 Posts)
astridforty Tue 13-Nov-12 15:28:07

Hi, DP just been made redundant this week so casting about for any possible funds.

I've managed to submit a claim to HMRC for tax relief on pension contributions and mileage is next on the to do list.

I use my own car for work travel and can claim 35p per mile. Is there 'extra' I can claim through HMRC and does anyone know how I go about doing it?

Does it matter what tax band I'm in?


ihategeorgeosborne Tue 13-Nov-12 16:12:00

Hi astridforty, sorry to hear about your DP. I think you can claim up to 45p a mile from HMRC for work related mileage expenses. Not too sure on the details though. Am looking into this myself on behalf of my DH and was advised about this earlier. Perhaps MrAnchovy will belong to help you shortly! I was advised to put it on a self-assessment tax form, but I guess that would mean you have to wait until the end of the tax year. Not sure if there is another form you can claim this on in the mean time? Also, I don't think it matters what tax band you are in. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

ihategeorgeosborne Tue 13-Nov-12 16:13:28

sorry, belong should read be along

MrAnchovy Tue 13-Nov-12 19:14:50

Yes you should be able to claim an additional 10p per mile. You may not have to register for self assessment, google for a P87 form which should be all you need.

If your income is very low you may be eligible for help from Tax Aid - check them out.

astridforty Wed 14-Nov-12 16:34:39

Thanks both, tracked down the form and will have a go at completing at the weekend.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: