Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI for dummies

(4 Posts)
MimsyBorogroves Wed 07-Nov-12 17:17:05

Just wondering if anyone can help!

A year ago, my ex and I received a letter from Halifax saying we had been mis sold PPI and that they were refunding the money. We got a nice cheque back, which helped with a lot of debt since our separation.

This has made me think though - I wasn't even aware that we had PPI on our mortgage (hence the mis selling I suppose!)

In the last 6 years I have had 2 car loans - one with ge capital and one with Barclays partner finance. I've no idea if I had PPI on either of these either. All of the documents have been lost between our relationship breakdown and life changes, so I don't have a clue what to do to find out if I was - no account numbers, nothing.

Can I just ring them up, provide them with my details and ask them to check my records? I'm useless with things like this and keep dithering. It doesn't help that I keep getting "use us to claim back your thousands!" texts (which I know are a scam, and I never would)

noviceoftheday Wed 07-Nov-12 17:27:57

Yes you can just ring them up, banks have all gone through the process of setting up processes to make it easy for you to make the claims, which is why Halifax called you. Whatever you do, as you say, don't use a claims company!!

JackThePumpkinKing Wed 07-Nov-12 17:31:21

Can you check back through your online bank statement for the payments? There might be an account number on there. It might also be in your direct debit details if you haven't deleted them

MimsyBorogroves Wed 07-Nov-12 18:57:43

Thank you both smile

Jack - excellent idea about bank statements - I will have a trawl through them tonight and make some calls tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now