Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage going up.. can I do anything ?

(5 Posts)
HappyJoyful Wed 07-Nov-12 11:45:35

As with most at the moment, money is tight. I had all the correct notifications that base rate with Santander was rising - am on a standard variable rate unfortunately my credit rating is very poor and they simply aren't able to find anything better when it was renewed a few year or so back.

However, must admit to being a bit of an ostrich and assumed (as has been the case before) that the increase would be pennies, and not significant pounds. However, on finally paying attention and reading a recent letter I've discovered it's going up by over £60. With first installment 26th Nov. (just what we don't need) being a whooping £150+

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge as to whether it's worth me trying to explain our current circumstances to Santander and will they listen? Has anyone been able to negotiate something ? I've no idea where to start and what to ask for? any thoughts appreciated

Caerlaverock Wed 07-Nov-12 11:47:51

You can extend the term but check you won't get stung by an arrangement fee

HappyJoyful Wed 07-Nov-12 11:54:15

thanks caerlaverock.. any idea what sort of cost that would be ? would I have to pay it up front ?

Caerlaverock Wed 07-Nov-12 11:59:13

Phone the mortgage company and ask them. Arrangement fees can be 1000 but hopefully as you are just changing an existing mortgage then should waive it

HappyJoyful Wed 07-Nov-12 12:12:18

Yes of course, need to get on phone to them.. just think I wanted a bit of a push that it wasn't going to be a completely soul destroying conversation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now