Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI company?

(16 Posts)
ineedsomepeaceandquiet Sat 03-Nov-12 11:10:10

I know that you can do it yourself but could anyone recommend a company to help.

kirrinIsland Sat 03-Nov-12 11:24:14

Seriously - do it yourself. I foolishly did it via a company and had to pay them the best part of £300 - and for nothing as far as I can tell. You still have to gather the info to give to the company and fill in their form so you might as well just fill in your own form and save yourself a fortune.
I claimed for my DP using the form on www.moneysavingexpert.com and we had a response in a couple of days and a cheque less than 3 weeks later.

I think if you are entitled to claim, your bank probably already knows this so it should be pretty straight forward.

ineedsomepeaceandquiet Sat 03-Nov-12 12:35:53

How do you know if you are entitled to anything?

notnowImreading Sat 03-Nov-12 12:47:05

Pretty much all banks have a PPI complaints line advertised on their home page. I rang Halifax and asked them to check whether I had PPI on any of my financial products with them and they checked the mortgage, life insurance and credit card for me. They found that I had PPI on the credit card and asked me questions about how I had signed up for it. I couldn't remember much at all but they still sent me a refund.

If you have PPI, the likelihood is that you were missold. If any of the following apply to you, you should get a refund:
You were pressured by the salesperson and felt you couldn't say no
You didn't even know you had taken it out
You didn't understand what it was
You didn't need it because of your employment t&c (eg you're in a job where sickness benefits are very good such as education or NHS)
You were given the impression that you had to take it out in order to take the credit card/mortgage etc.

Just give them a ring. The people on the phone lines have their jobs because the banks have cocked up and they are not there to trip you up - I found them very helpful and it was all sorted in 20 minutes.

VintageRainBoots Tue 06-Nov-12 05:21:28

Newbie here. What is PPI? I see the acronym all over this forum, but I still don't know what it is...

Longdistance Tue 06-Nov-12 05:38:26

Payment Protection Insurance. It would sometimes come up as 'card cover', and various other variations f I you were conned

I'll tell you what I have done....I have basically written to all the companies I had credit/store cards/loans with, giving as much detail as possible.
I have since moved, got married, emigrated in that time. I managed to somehow work out dates to and from when I thought I had these cards, and just sent copies of id I had as proof of who I am/was.
If you still have your loan agreement, credit/store card details, then you're lucky. I had none of mine, so it has taken time for them to search for my details.
Just get writing to them. I have so far managed to get £1200 with a loan, and two credit cards I had. Am now fighting with Santander to get money back owed through Debenhams (GE Capital bank). This is now being dealt with through the FSO (financial services ombudsman), so I'm in for a lonnnnng wait.

Newtothisstuff Tue 06-Nov-12 06:01:40

I just claimed using Gladstone Brooks. They charge you 25% plus vat. I'm sure doing it myself would have by easy but I've got 6 year old, a 5 month old and I'm pretty lazy !
I bet some of the other companies are cheaper but I've just for £1500 for signing a few forms but they got £500 for basically doing the same !!

Longdistance Tue 06-Nov-12 06:26:44

I would have done it for you happily for £500 grin

Bloody hell! It's only the cost of a stamp, and some patience!!!

lemonpuff Tue 06-Nov-12 06:53:59

I claimed fromSantander, Evans card from 2002, forgot I had it, don't ask...anyway they turned me down. I remember getting the card, 10% discount if you took it out, and the saleswoman said just tick her and here then they will aprove it. Santandar sent me a copy of the orginal deal ad they had written to me in 2003, and T should have quw=eried it then.

I have other cards but now don't know if I should bother.

Longdistance Tue 06-Nov-12 08:50:15

Lemon puff, get on the FSO website, and fill out a form. They turned me down too. The application form wasn't filled in by me, and even the tick wasn't mine.
I'm perusing it to the death. I got my Debenhams card back in 1997 shock and am in the middle dealing with the ombudsman.
Don't give up, keep fighting, the money's yours, NOT Sanfuckingtanders!
[anger]
They are the worst bank in the world, and think they can gt away with anything. I left them last year, as their service was truly the pits.
I have a feeling this may go to the FLA.

Slinkysista Tue 06-Nov-12 21:21:50

Halifax confirmed that I had PPI on two credit cards, I didn't even know I had it so to my mind it was mis sold to me. They have reviewed my complaint and refused it!! Can they just do that? What now?

Longdistance Wed 07-Nov-12 07:47:26

Try going to the ombudsman as your next step. They have a form you can fill in online. Give as much info as possible.

poorbuthappy Wed 07-Nov-12 07:50:57

In total me and dh have had £8800 this year. Do it yourself.

WasLostNowAmFound Wed 07-Nov-12 19:00:59

I had an endowment mortgage in 1998, first mortgage and didn't have a clue. I remember the Morgage advisor advising me to take out Critical Illness Cover in case you get Cancer, and if you can't pay the mortgage you'll lose your flat (I was 26) I remember agreeing to the CIC at the time after she said this. I was in full-time employment and my contract stated 6 months full pay, six months half pay if I was off sick.

I stopped the CIC after 4/5 years as money was tight - it was around £20-£40 a month, and later cashed in my endowment 2/3 years after that when I sold my flat.

A few months ago I had a clearout and threw all my old paperwork away, having kept it for 14 years! I have one piece of paperwork left - it is a 'Plan' I presume to pay back the endowment, but it does mention the CIC and an assured rate of return (@7% - in their/my dreams!)

Can anyone tell me if I have a chance of making a claim?

TIA smile

LadyKooKoo Wed 07-Nov-12 19:07:48

WasLost, I would say you definitely have a chance. It certainly won't hurt too try. Moneysavingexpert have all the forms to print off and the correct addresses for each applicable bank.

WasLostNowAmFound Wed 07-Nov-12 19:16:46

LadyKooKoo thank you for your reply. I had a look at MSE and the forms and will get on with completing them.

I also kept the Mortgage Advisor's business card, so have a name to add to the evidence! I'm now on my third mortgage (a very sensible repayment one) and haven't had a personal loan or credit card so this is my one chance to make up (financially) for my youthful ignorance grin

Many thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now