Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Nasty - urgent question about JSA

(8 Posts)
Corygal Thu 01-Nov-12 20:57:30

Best mate got a letter today saying his contribution-based JSA ran out 2 weeks ago.

He is unquestionably entitled to the income-based one - does he get it automatically or does he have to reapply?

If he does nowt, is he left to starve?

Do please answer tonight if you can! I'm not sure I can afford the quantities of gin required to ward off impending homelessness, etc.

Thanks

WhoWhatWhereWhen Thu 01-Nov-12 21:02:43

It wont automatically be put into payment because it's based on his income so he'll need to give details of savings and any other income, can he reapply online tonight? if not phone in the morning.

Corygal Thu 01-Nov-12 21:05:23

OK brilliant thanks - we'll get online now (then scarper back to Mumsnet.) Thanks so much.

KittyBump Thu 01-Nov-12 21:11:48

It depends if he applied for both kinds initially, if he phones his benefit centre they should be able to tell him if he has been rated for JSA (IB - income based) or just JSA (C - contributions), if he hasn't applied fro JSa (IB) already he needs to complete a big green form called a JSA1. If you claim online it will start a whole new claim - not the end of the world as he can end the first claim but it will mean he will need to attend a First Interview again and go through the system again (whatever that is at his particular Jobcentre.

Corygal Thu 01-Nov-12 21:30:03

Cheers - how does one tell if he applied for both? He just filled in the online form when was made redundant at end of April. Then the DWP told him he was getting C based JSA...

KittyBump Thu 01-Nov-12 21:50:06

When he applied did he get asked questions about his household income? i.e. partner's earnings, any savings etc. ? He can only conclusively find out by asking the benefit centre as their system will show his rating for JSA(C) and JSA(IB). JSA(C) takes priority over (IB) so if you are entitled to (C) this always goes into payment first - even if there is an underlying entitlement to (IB).
If he has been rated for both then (IB) automatically starts after (C) is exhausted. I'm not sure if the fact he got a letter saying his (C) had run out is an indication that he hasn't been rated for (IB) - it would make sense but it may be that it is an automatic letter that goes out to all whose contributions have run out. Sorry that isn't very useful is it - I hope he gets it sorted.
If, since his contributions ran out, he has still been actively jobseeking and available for work and attending the jobcentre to sign there shouldn't be a gap in the claim but there may be a delay in getting the claim changed over to (IB).

WhoWhatWhereWhen Fri 02-Nov-12 09:35:00

I have to wonder, what does the letter say? does it have any instructions about moving over to JSA(IB)? I've seen a few letters from the DWP and sometimes it's not until the letter has been re-read it becomes clear they're actually telling the recipient they need to do something.

Hope it gets sorted today, let us know what happens.

Corygal Fri 02-Nov-12 18:13:10

Update with gratitude - well, we applied for JSA IB last night online. Jobcentre this am appeared vague, and when presented with letter suggested we applied again, which we did on paper.

He signed on as normal, so here's hoping there's no delay. As for housing benefit, we haven't reapplied as we haven't been told that's stopped. Which I seriously hope it hasn't - all hell wd break loose.

Thanks so much for all your help - it gave serenity and calm to an otherwise rather stressy time. Mumsnet saviours I salute you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now