Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Part time hours, pensions and HRP

(4 Posts)
ByTheWay1 Wed 31-Oct-12 11:25:39

All the talk about child benefit has got me wondering about pensions....

I work part time - only 6 hours a week for around £40 - so I do not pay NI.

I do claim child benefit, my kids are 10 and 11. Does the fact that I am claiming CB keep up my NI contributions even though I AM working - all be it part time.

If so, does the HRP end when my youngest is 12? I keep getting confused.... I'm an older mum, so already have 20 years of NI accrued before giving up work when eldest was born - these 10/12 years of HRP would take me beyond the magic 30 years....

I hope so - or else I might have to re-enter the big wide world of FT work to make up the years....

meditrina Wed 31-Oct-12 12:27:17

Best way to find out for sure is to get a pensions forecast from Newcastle - it'll tell you your NI record to date, and whether you are on course for full state pension.

If you are claiming CB, then the NI credit should happen, filling the gap if you are not paying NI through work.

The NI credits used to run until a DC was 16, but this was changed to 12 by last administration (change came into effect in 2010).

MrAnchovy Wed 31-Oct-12 12:31:23

It's not called HRP any more, but it sounds like you should be OK - The Pensions Service can tell you exactly what you have accrued.

ByTheWay1 Wed 31-Oct-12 16:26:00

ok - thanks - have looked where I should in the first place - googled pensions and HRP -DOH.....

and yep - says I have actually paid enough contributions for a full pension already?!?!? something to do with the years from 16 to 19 counting as well because I was in full time education... so I am a happy bunny - one less thing to have to worry about......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now