Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity and bonuses

(4 Posts)
rocket74 Tue 30-Oct-12 14:57:42

Hi. Currently on maternity leave and receive only the statutory amount from my employer.
This month everyone got a 10% quarterly bonus in their pay packet - except me. I am sure that I am entitled to it - but should it be based on my annual normal salary (this is what I think) or is it based on my maternity leave pay?
I have looked on a few websites but none seem to clarify on which pay it should be based.
I am sure when I was off with 1st DC I got the full amount so don't know why this has happened.

I have queried it with them - said it must have been an oversight on their part rather than wading in heavy handed !!!- but just need to know the law if it comes to it.

LadyKooKoo Wed 31-Oct-12 12:59:08

How long have you been on maternity leave and for what quarter is the bonus due? Our bonuses are paid annually in March. I received one in 2011 (finished work in December 2010) but did not get one in 2012 (by which point I was back at work) as I had not been at work in 2011. I do not think there is any law which covers bonus payments as they are generally at the discrestion of the employer and are not mandatory.

HorraceTheOtter Wed 31-Oct-12 13:06:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

rocket74 Wed 31-Oct-12 17:02:09

thanks - I have been on maternity for five months so missed this quarter.
I just thought that you were entitled to benefits and bonuses whilst on maternity regardless of whether you have worked that quarter - but apparently not.
I'm sure the old directgov website used to say something to that affect but no longer. boohoo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now