Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

moving from jsa/ benefits to 12 hour/ week job

(19 Posts)
zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 10:37:03

I know I won't really be moving as it's minimum wage, I am just desperate for a job now and this looks ok. JSA have been quite ruthless since May, when I was switched from IS, due to youngest being 7 and lower age limit changed to 5 anyway. This obviously won't get them off my back but for one thing, people in work seem to have better prospects generally.
However, the manager said I could get overtime to make it 16 hours. I don't know how regular this would be. Anyone have experience of fluctuating between 12/ 16 hours?
I DREAD to think how JSA would handle it. I don't know how easy it would be to intemittently claim WTC either.
So perhaps I need to say only 12 hours unless 16 by contract?
I have 3 children, single mum....

Witchety Sun 28-Oct-12 10:49:31

How are the jc Bering ruthless?

Witchety Sun 28-Oct-12 10:49:47

*being

LIZS Sun 28-Oct-12 11:00:28

I thought TC were adjusted retrospectively anyway. So it would be based on 12 hours and reviewed when you renew the claim or formally change contract. Your lone parent adviser or CAB should be able to help you complete the paperwork.

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 11:04:46

Just once I didn't have an organised list of all my job apps, it had been a very stressful week. The advisor was very brisk and immediately highlighted the past 2 weeks as a period of doubt. I was able to write everything down clearly afterwards and eventually this was resolved.
It's just no good for self esteem being treated like this and the crap about us all being lazy scroungers in the media doesn't help.
As a recent graduate I was hoping to find a better job than this.

TimeForMeAndDD Sun 28-Oct-12 11:08:56

I don't think you can claim working tax credit for working less than 16 hours.

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 11:09:17

Oh no LIZS, that sounds complicated too. Does that mean I wait til April, tell them I'm working and then have to pay lots of money back? I will have to see the lp advisor yes.
Anyone have any idea how I will fare financially? Is there any point in me working 12 hours money-wise?

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 11:10:42

Thats right, Time. So would I get WTC for, say, 15 weeks of the year if they were 16 or over?.....

KatieScarlett2833 Sun 28-Oct-12 11:12:17

You will earn £20 extra and that is all.

No WTC unless 16hrs

JSA still if under 16hrs. You are allowed to earn £20 then the rest comes off penny for penny against your JSA.

FYP Sun 28-Oct-12 11:13:48

Tax credits wouldn't be based on 12 hours because you have to be working 16 hours (as an lp) to qualify. Also, the 16 hour job would have to be 'expected to last 5 weeks or more' in order to qualify, so in effect you would have to prove that your employer would give you overtime for at least five weeks consistently.

If you stay at 12 hours you would still need to sign on etc and also provide proof of your earnings every week in case you may be entitled to a tiny bit of JSA on top. £20 of your wages would be disregarded.

If you could secure 16 hours you would be much better off being out of the DWP's warm embrace smile

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 11:51:48

FYP, hmm, warm embrace, yes...! grin
Well I guess 20 pound a week will have to do! And I will be pestering for more hours in my contact because she said she can't guarantee it.
If the government think bullying tactics will get people back into work/ off benefit then it clearly isn't working. Even over 16 hours I would still be getting help. The figures would look better I suppose.
So otherwise the best thing I can do is keep jobhunting, hoping to find another p/t job.
Anyone have experience of 2 jobs together?
Could be an admin nightmare! I did 2 p/t jobs once single & child-free, they over-taxed me for ages.

LIZS Sun 28-Oct-12 14:34:18

sorry if you felt bullied. It is as much about encouraging people to contribute and get into the workplace as reducing the numbers on benefit. Many are still entitled to claim while working but you ahve to start somewhere. Statistically it is easier to find a job if you are already working and the longer someone is not economically active the less likely they are to become so. Even £20 extra a week (and you may also be entitled to a one-off small amount for work clothes etc) is worth having to begin with.

TimeForMeAndDD Sun 28-Oct-12 17:16:01

My experience with the Jobcentre wasn't too bad, I didn't find them very helpful but I didn't feel bullied. But, 2 weeks ago I was transferred over to the Work Programme which I have nothing but praise for. And after 12 months of job hunting alone and only 2 weeks with the support, help and encouragement of my work coach, I now have a job!

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 17:20:42

Hmm yes, I know they want 'everyone' to contribute. Do you work for them?! I definately could do with a work clothes grant. The uniform is expensive.

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 17:25:27

Time, congrats on your job. I don't know about the Work Programme. I know that A 4 E was a joke in our area and can't believe the founder did so well out of it.
It was just the one advisor who behaved in a manner I found bullying. Some have been surprisingly pleasant.

LIZS Sun 28-Oct-12 17:30:51

hmm not sure that was called for, no don't work for DWP and A4E are pretty useless but you do come across as quite chippy. Company may also offer a uniform allowance or give you a discount if it is a retailer where you wear their products - if you don't ask you won't know.

TimeForMeAndDD Sun 28-Oct-12 17:33:02

I got transferred to a4e and they have been nothing but brilliant, but I haven't just sat back and let them do the work, I have been a constant thorn in their side, pushing for help. How long have you been on JSA? After 12 months you will be transferred to the work programme, you might mind it more help than the Jobcentre.

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 17:43:33

Sorry, most people in my position would be chippy! Not happy about being treated that way. Oh well, I have a complaints form.
It's hard NOT to feel negative about the government, the economy, the media with everything thats happening.

zzzexhaustedzzz Sun 28-Oct-12 17:45:38

JSA since May.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now