Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Uniform dating and rolling contract

(5 Posts)
Libramonkey Sun 21-Oct-12 23:49:54

Hi all, I've been a reader on mn for a while but first time I've posted. Don't know if this is the right place to ask but need some advice.

Basically early in the year I joined uniform dating and paid (stupidly) for a 3 month subscription which I didn't use after the first month. I've recently had a job change and thought I should delete my account. Went to my profile to find how to delete and found that it said I was still on a pay monthly subscription. Although i've not been receiving the benefits of it, I tried to read a message and it told me I needed to upgrade (subscribe). I think the money hasn't been coming out of my account because the card I joined with has since expired.
With the rolling contract it now seems that the monthly payment is ?25 which is steep. The only way to delete my account is to call them. However I'm worried if I call them that they will say I owe them the money for the rolling contract. Which is about 6/7 months and I can't afford that. Do you think as they haven't been providing the service they will just agree to close the account?

Rockchick1984 Mon 22-Oct-12 11:37:17

Depends on the company to be honest. Yes in theory they can make you pay them the money you owe, however some companies would just let you cancel as you haven't used it at all. However, and apologies for being blunt, the longer you leave it without cancelling the worse it's going to get so you really do need to grit your teeth and just ring them. Don't mention that you owe them money, simply say you need to cancel the membership as you haven't used it since March (or whenever) and didn't realise it hadn't lapsed.

If they do insist on you paying it and you can't afford it as a lump sum, tell them that and offer £25 per month (the normal membership fee) by standing order until its repaid smile

Libramonkey Mon 22-Oct-12 13:18:00

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate it. Will call them ASAP smile

Rockchick1984 Mon 22-Oct-12 14:54:33

No problem, good luck smile

Libramonkey Mon 22-Oct-12 17:25:39

I called them. They cancelled it no charge grin. Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now