Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

money making tips please?

(11 Posts)
redbutterfly Thu 18-Oct-12 16:09:56

Hi there,

Im looking for some ways to make money. I've always been used to earning my own salary, had a good job in central London but i left my job before i got pregnant due to some problems so i have not had maternity pay. OH has a good job and has always provided everything i need but i really want some of my own cash to treat myself....without feeling guilty!

Have done a couple of car boot sales when i was 8 months pregnant and made about 100 quid each time but now it's winter and we have our 10 month old DS it would be difficult to do again.....have thought about putting some stuff on ebay but it can be time consuming, time idon't really have ...but it's still something i will do.

Does anyone know of quicker ways of selling stuff? Or other ways of making cash?

P.s. OH recently got made redundant so every bit counts!!!!

roguepixie Thu 18-Oct-12 16:16:29

Ebay is a good money generator but is fairly up and down - in that some weeks you can earns loads from what you think might not sell and then the next time...nothing. Also, it does carry insertion fees so free weekends are worth waiting for. You could also offer to sell stuff for your friends (for a small fee).

Baking - do any of your friends have birthdays coming up (or their children)? If you can bake and make cakes you could earn some £'s making cakes. Baking in general and selling at markets is also a money spinner (check with your Council as you have to apply for a licence to cook foods that are destined for sale).

Are you good at craft? Make cushions/bunting style things (a'la Kirsti Allsop) and get another car boot stall or fete stall.

Will have a think as I go to collect DS from school and will come with any more I can think of ...

redbutterfly Thu 18-Oct-12 16:25:48

Thanks Roguepixie!!! Really nice to get replies....I've only just started two threads and didn't realise how quickly I'd get replies! It's nice to feel that people care and nice to chat....(I don't have many mummy friends and have not got into baby groups too much)....

Appreciate it!

Mum2Fergus Thu 18-Oct-12 17:18:17

Ebay and Gumtree have been fairly successful for me RedButterfly. Can you advertise any services locally...cleaning, dog walking, house sitter, admin work...anything you can work in during you spare/free hours?

Mum2Fergus Thu 18-Oct-12 17:20:16

Forgot to add, are you crafty, so to speak lol I have a sewing machine and started with alterations for friends and now do curtains and the like.

roguepixie Thu 18-Oct-12 17:52:42

It's a pleasure redbutterfly.

Had a thought whilst out, and find that Mum2Fergus has mentioned it ... dog walking. Again, Councils have lists of dog walkers so you could always look at what you'd need to do to go one of those.

InMySpareTime Sat 20-Oct-12 16:10:44

Here are a few ideas:
Survey sites (opinion world, toluna, valued opinions etc) pay you to fill in surveys.
Ironing clothes
Minor clothes alterations
Proofreading
Writing reviews of products/places
Sewing/crochet/knitting/craft etc.
Making jam/chutney/preserving foods in oil/vinegar/sugar.
Growing and selling your own fruit/veg

DiddyMary Sun 21-Oct-12 02:11:12

Where do you get paid for reviews InMySpareTime?

InMySpareTime Sun 21-Oct-12 08:25:53

Google "paid reviews", start locally to build up your reputation, look on websites/FB pages of products you like, to see if they are testing. MN do plenty of product tests where you can win Amazon vouchers for reviews (I got £100 in the summer).
I like odd stuff so probably not much help to you, but often get asked about cosmetics and hair stuff (really not my thing!) so assume they do a lot of testing/reviews and value feedback.

DiddyMary Mon 22-Oct-12 00:07:46

Thanks.

LadyKooKoo Tue 23-Oct-12 13:42:13

Do all of your shopping through www.topcashback.co.uk including car/home/holiday/pet/life etc insurances. I always get paid out in Amazon vouchers so it is an extra 5%. It averages about £300 a year which I always use to get Christmas presents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now