Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

switching utilities provider while Br Gas owes us money

(9 Posts)
sununu Thu 18-Oct-12 15:33:06

according to money supermarket site we could save £300 a year by switching now. we are over £200 in credit with British Gas i have just realised, I feel anxious about getting this money refunded if we switch. it's our money, they have to give it back, right - could there be any hassle about this? will I have to speak to them or will they credit us automatically when notified by the new provider?

cece Thu 18-Oct-12 15:40:30

You need to phone them up and ask for it once you have switched.

TiAAAAARGHo Thu 18-Oct-12 15:52:05

You need to call and ask for it, but there shouldn't be any sort of problem.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 19-Oct-12 08:57:44

Call them and ask for it back. It's your money & British Gas isn't a savings bank

Fizzylemonade Sun 21-Oct-12 08:04:35

Your bill with BG will be finalised and if you paid by direct debit any credit will be paid straight back into your bank account.

They don't keep money to spite you just because you changed supplier grin

It is always advisable to leave the direct debit going otherwise you end up being sent a cheque which can be a hassle ie account in joint names but the direct debit came from one persons bank account & you don't have a joint account.

I go on uswitch every time my capped/fixed rate comes to an end to see who can give me the cheapest deals. I used to work for npower.

vodkaanddietirnbru Sun 21-Oct-12 08:13:52

I agree with the pp - once your final bill is calculated any money owed to you will be credited to your bank account. I have switched a few times and got money back (or had to pay extra!)

PigletJohn Sun 21-Oct-12 09:08:43

I changed from SSE to EDF and got paid by cheque.

It arrived about 14 days after the nominal changeover date

ToothbrushThief Sun 21-Oct-12 09:10:28

Same situation here and they refunded me on my request on the day of the switch - tbh you can ask for a refund at any time. BG have accumulated my money each year. I have ended up over £300 each yr. One yr they upped my direct debit despite the credit!!!!!!

lemontruffles Sun 21-Oct-12 09:19:02

Ooo, I have just switched from Scottish power and they owe me over £600! I was wondering how to retrieve it (it'll be an automatic refund).

And like you, toothbrush, I had monthly payments increased last year despite them being £400 in credit. They did seem to think they were running an interest free savings scheme with my cash! Thieves!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now