Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

parking fine and bailiffs.

(29 Posts)
scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 21:17:38

Stupid stupid ex managed to gtetc 3 parking tickets on my car, never mentioned it.

I've now got a bailiff saying it's been to court and now I need to pay £710 immediately.

I have offered a payment plan but he has refused and wants to take my car and /or goods from my home.

I am petrified. Is there any way I can make them accept a payment plan?

I feel sick just thinking of them coming in here andt taking what little stuff we have.

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 21:25:34

Hopeful bump.

Been trying to Google but can't find any help.

SuzysZoo Wed 17-Oct-12 21:29:12

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_cars_and_other_vehicles_e/consumer_driving_and_parking_e/consumer_parking_tickets_e/consumer_disputing_a_council_issued_parking_ticket_e/penalty_charge_notice_enforcement_by_bailiffs.htm

Try this website. it doesn't look too hopeful I'm afraid, but it might help.

PhyllisDoris Wed 17-Oct-12 21:30:17

Can you prove you weren't driving the car on the days/times the fines were incurred?

You could try asking the CAB for advice. They will mediate in your behalf.

AnyFuleKno Wed 17-Oct-12 21:43:44

you should ask on moneysavingexpert website, they are very savvy about this stuff

I'm worried in case you don't get the help you need on here

Do not let the bailiffs enter your house under any circumstances. Once you've let them in once they have the 'right' to re-enter to remove goods.

TheDetective Wed 17-Oct-12 21:48:36

Scardy, is it a council parking fine, or private company? Can you put some more details on here?

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 21:52:19

Can't prove I wasn't driving. This dates back to 2011.

The only letter I have is from this bailiff and it states the claimant is the council.

I'll look on MSA and the link above asap. Dd is poorly atm so things are manic here.

Thank you for the imput.

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 21:54:05

And he hasn't been in the house. He posted a letter whIle I was out and I called him.

He said the best he could offer was a payment plan of just 30 days.

whatinthewhatnow Wed 17-Oct-12 21:57:57

it's a council ticket so does have to be paid at some point. Don't let the bailiffs in, for starters. Contact citizens advice as soon as possible.

LFCisTarkaDahl Wed 17-Oct-12 22:02:23

Check it definitely has been to court and not someone trying it on.

Have you had any paperwork at all?? If the car is in your name then court docs would come to you.

You can have the judgement set aside if you've not heard about it and to make a payment plan. But you need to apply to the court and not just talk to the bailiff.

Dont leave windows/doors open and the bailiffs can't get in.

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:04:36

CA in the morning then.

I'll pay the fine, I've spent years paying for debts he ran up, just cannot find £710 in 30 days.

I offered £50 A month but he flat refused. I'll offer £100 a month in the morning and just pray they accept it.

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:07:54

Definitely not had any paper work about this. Not a single letter.

So I need to ring bailiff and ask for proof of court order? Then speak to CA see what they suggest.

I'm just scared that if I don't get the plan set up asap. they will come and take stuff.

LFCisTarkaDahl Wed 17-Oct-12 22:13:59

They can't come and take stuff, they need a walking possession order to do that so do not let them in.

You don't talk to the bailiff either, it's too late - you must call the court and tell them you have no paperwork - they need to have sent out paperwork relating to the county court judgement, you need to figure out why you don't have it.

If your car is registered at your address then something is amiss - there's the fine, constant threatening paperwork from council, then court docs, then a judgement. There must be an explanation for you having nothing!

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:20:21

Car is registered here. I receive all other car stuff so it's not that.

It's so confusing when the bailiff tells you it's Pay right now or we take your stuff. No other option!

I've worked so bloody hard to get rid of all that dickheads debt and now this sad . I was finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and could start treating the dc (2 eldest dc don't even have beds).

At best I'm £100 down a month for 7 months worst I'll lose my car and other possessions.

Fucking fucking shitty life.

LFCisTarkaDahl Wed 17-Oct-12 22:28:24

But you won't. I really doubt what the bailiff is saying is true, that's just too much paperwork to go missing.

Call the court, not the bailiff. If there's a judgement, they will tell you. If there's no judgement call the council and see if there's any outstanding tickets.

At the moment the 'bailiff' could be trying it on and it could just be a ticket (non enforceable) from a sainsburys car park.

Even if it is a real judgement you don't have to pay immediately. You say you've had no paperwork and you get the judgement set aside and you arrange a payment plan you can afford.

In the meantime if it's a real bailiff you talk to them through a window or the letterbox, you do not under any circumstances open the door - if he gets a foot in he then has a walking possession order meaning he can return and take goods - only things you don't 'need', not beds/freezers etc.

Just don't answer the door til you've talked to the court - if there's no judgement and no tickets feel free to tell fake bailiff who worried you to FUCK off - they can do nothing!

scardeycat Wed 17-Oct-12 22:32:14

Sorry for ranting, dont have any one else to discuss this with.

You have been very helpful lfc, I'll ring them asap.

LFCisTarkaDahl Wed 17-Oct-12 22:34:05

God, rant away. I hope it's not real. Fingers crossed.

LFCisTarkaDahl Thu 18-Oct-12 15:57:48

How did you get on today?

scardeycat Thu 18-Oct-12 18:08:55

well, bailiff didnt answer his phone all day angry . i was in tears on the phone yesterday so he knows how stressed I am over this. I've left him a few voicemails.

courts said they need to investigate this before taking any further action. I'm hoping they will call back in the morning.

i am a mess. no sleep last night for worrying and can't stomach eating. work was a complete write off today. my heart is in my mouth every time the door knocks or I see a van outside.

Rockchick1984 Thu 18-Oct-12 18:28:41

Right, you need to calm down about it. I know that's easy for me to say, but honestly you need to calm down so you can be clear about what happens next when you hear from the court.

When the bailiff rings you back, simply tell him you have contacted the courts for them to investigate why you haven't heard anything prior to this, and that you will happily come to an arrangement once you hear from the court. Remember that although it sounds scary, the bailiff is just someone doing their job, they have no idea if you are genuinely innocent and knew nothing about it, or if you are simply the sort of person to ignore everything and bury your head in the sand. The fact you are trying to resolve it will definitely work in your favour. Definitely don't let a bailiff into your house, speak only over the phone and keep your doors and windows locked.

Ask the court for details of why you haven't had any correspondence. Be prepared that if you need to pay, you may have to do an income and expenditure sheet to work out what you can afford to pay. Citizens Advice can help you with this. The court will not ask you to pay more than you can reasonably afford.

Good luck with it, hopefully everything can be sorted quickly for you <<hugs>>

scardeycat Thu 18-Oct-12 18:35:22

thank you rockchick I really do need to calm down. I'm being so snappy with the DC sad

I'm finishing work early tomorrow to try and sort this all out. I can't concentrate so there isn't much point in being there.

I'll fill in as many forms as the court can give me as long as this gets resolved asap.

scardeycat Fri 19-Oct-12 15:08:52

after a very shitty time calling here there and everywhere I have an appeal letter in the post.

I made a complete tit of myself calling the court people and bawling my eyes out.

thank you for suggestions and letting me rant.

I'm off to fashion a voodoo doll of my ex!

scardeycat Fri 19-Oct-12 15:09:43

and it was 5 tickets, not just the 3 the bailiff was calling for.

joy! more money I have to pay out for that knobber angry

supermum06 Tue 23-Oct-12 18:23:59

why do you have to pay if you werent driving..ask advice re this

VivaLeBeaver Tue 23-Oct-12 18:34:28

You shouldn't have to pay this at all.

The councils complaint is against the driver not the owner of the car. Go to CAB tomorrow. Its a shame that you weren't there when it went to court/didn't know about it.

Tell the baliffs and the council that you weren't driving and you refuse to have anything to do with the bill. Give them details of your ex. Its then up to them to chase him.

I wonder if it really has gone to court? I keep getting dodgy letters from a private car parking company insinuating they've been to court and the bill has now been passed on to baliffs, etc. Its all bollocks, its never been to court. I've had no court papers and the baliff "company" is a scam subsidery of the car parking company. But thats a private car park not a council one.

My bill is up to £400 and seeing as I got a 2nd ticket last week I guess I can double it. I keep binning the letters as I know its all bollocks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now