Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Which is worse, electoral roll/bank ac address mismatch, or recent address change?

(6 Posts)
gaelicsheep Wed 17-Oct-12 21:12:34

To cut a long story short we've reluctantly moved for work and are in a temporary rented address. The council in our home area says we can't renew our electoral registration because we no longer live there. This despite the house still being furnished with phone line etc and us returning frequently. It grates because it's still home but we were also trying to keep things simple and avoid potential problems with credit due to address changes. Basically in the next year we will be deciding to either move to a permanent place here or move back.home, and in the meantime we haven't changed addresses for anything. We are not renting the house out

Still with me? So now, if we're forced off the electoral roll at home I guess we have to register here. In that case should we then move everything else, only to potentially move it again in less than a year? Or should we keep financial stuff registered up there for now? Which is the least worst option? confused

This is all upsetting because our home is still our home. :-(

gaelicsheep Wed 17-Oct-12 21:18:45

Although I suppose that once we have to register down here -grr like I care what happens here - then we will have to use this address on any application eg for a future mortgage if we do settle, and that's that. So I guess there is no choice but to shift everything? Seems so unfair that the status of our home as home can just be removed like that.

Rockchick1984 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:24:34

But ultimately it's not your home at the moment is it? You need to register where you currently live, if you were applying for credit it can make a difference to your application if you're not on the electoral role, I've never seen someone have a problem with an application simply due to having moved house a few times.

I would personally update financial records with your new address. If it was only a matter of a couple of months it wouldn't be so bad, but if it's going to be around a year I'd recommend you update everything.

gaelicsheep Wed 17-Oct-12 21:36:48

You're right I know. It galls me though. If it was commutable i'd be commuting. We happen to be staying here for now but home is home. :-( I guess there's no room for sentiment in matters financial though.

Rockchick1984 Wed 17-Oct-12 22:40:42

Just re-read my post, sorry if it sounded harsh - it wasn't meant that way. If it means so much to you, and as you're not renting your home out anyway, could you simply use the new house mon-fri and still spend weekends at your home? I think that way you could still register on the electoral role there, and it sounds as though you are missing your home anyway so it may be good for you anyway to get back there more often smile

gaelicsheep Wed 17-Oct-12 22:48:50

Oh we'd love to but it is literally the other end of the country so totally impossible. I was looking into the rules though. If I was a remand prisoner I could declare a "local" interest. hmm No worries about sounding harsh, I probably need it. At the end of the day the address on a bill is not that important and I guess we have to just play by the rules. We know where home is, even if we have to declare otherwise to the powers that be. :-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: