Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Support whilst taking time out from studies

(5 Posts)
Michellephant Thu 04-Oct-12 12:58:03


I'm really struggling to work my way through the web of information on available financial support. I was hoping that someone on here might've been in a similar situation.

I'm currently about to begin my second and final year of my university course. My partner is working full time and earns roughly £21,500 per annum and a pension contribution comes out of that as well as NI and tax. We roughly end up with £1,100-200 ish after those deductions per month.

I need to take time out of my studies because my baby is due in March. Apparently because I will be intending on returning to university I don't qualify for things like JSA and I think this has a knock on effect on other financial assistance I might be able to get. I'm aware we will get child benefit and WTC but unsure of other things such as any sort of maternity pay for me (I've not been in any paid employment for well over a year) or any grants for new babies.

Anyone been a similar position to this? This is my first baby.

vj32 Thu 04-Oct-12 20:10:48

You will get CTC and CB once the baby is born - fairly sure your DP earns too much for WTC.

You won't qualify for Maternity Allowance as if you haven't been working at all, so won't get any maternity pay.

Until the baby is born, you will be living off your DPs earnings. He earns too much for you to be entitled to any help as far as I am aware.

Michellephant Fri 05-Oct-12 15:04:57

Yeah I won't need anything until baby is born anyway because I'm still studying so I get a bursary for that until I take my break from it.

marchpoppy Wed 10-Oct-12 09:53:00

Phone the wtc helpline at hmrc, they will do a prediction for you as to what you can get. there is also a calculator online at hmrc.

cc1983 Fri 12-Oct-12 06:51:25

Do you own or rent your property ? If you rent you may be entitled to housing benefit... or top up? smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: