Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Unexpected tax back - how can I work out if it is real?

(8 Posts)
DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Wed 03-Oct-12 20:48:21

I really really need the money & this could be a life saver
- well would spend it on health care so life saver is kind of literally true!

BUT I don't know why they've given me money back & am scared I'll spend it & then they'll demand it back & then I'll be completely screwed.

How can I work out where it comes from? There was a one page explanation BUT I don't understand it

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 04-Oct-12 07:28:19

If you're planning to spend it on health-care does that mean you're outside the UK? If you're in the UK you can contact HMRC's Taxes Helpline and ask for a statement of account. They're also quite happy to go through the numbers and explain where the rebate has come from. I recently got a rebate when my tax code was adjusted and they were very helpful

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Thu 04-Oct-12 16:09:51

Fraid not cognito, it means the nhs is failing me!
Good to know abou the tel number, I will call it & ask someone to explain it to me

roquefort Sat 13-Oct-12 18:49:45

Check the income and tax deducted figures at the top of the second page to your P60s etc - if they have used the correct figures, the refund is likely to be correct.

pamish Wed 17-Oct-12 00:57:55

Beware the scam email that says you are due tax back. It's phishing and you could live to regret following email links.

Most scam emails can easily be checked - copy a key phrase and paste into eg google, it will soon find if it's a hoax or thieving.

ThursdayWillBeTheDay Wed 17-Oct-12 06:45:11

I received a proper letter with detailed breakdowns of overpaid tax yesterday, with the promise of a cheque to follow. Got one this time last year too, so if it is a similar letter, then I'd say it's genuine.

whistlestopcafe Wed 17-Oct-12 06:50:50

Everyone seems to be getting tax rebates this year. Dh got one although it was only small. Normally he gets a letter saying that he has underpaid, he is PAYE so you would think it would be straightforward.

LeonieAJ Wed 17-Oct-12 17:01:35

Hi, do you know your tax code for the financial year your refund is for? If it's last year 2011/12 your code will have probably been 747L. In which case you pay tax on anything you earn in that year over £7475. Tax is taken at 20%. So if you paid more than this, they will be refunding what you overpaid.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: