Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it right we are not entitled any ANY benefits?

(22 Posts)
titchy Fri 28-Sep-12 16:59:40

DH redundant. Not entitled to cont based jsa as when left job last year was paid pilon up front so had more than two weeks where he didn't pay NI (well he did but it was all at once for a two month period).

I work 28 hours a week so we cannot claim income based JSA as I work too many hours.

Because he can't get JSA we can't get the interest paid on our mortgage.

So if DH doesn't manage to get a job we'll have to sell the house - is that right?

But if I reduced my hours we'd be OK? Is that right?

This is hypothetical - at the moment anyway but it really doesn't make sense does it?

lovechoc Fri 28-Sep-12 17:06:14

No idea but I do know BIL and his DW own their own home and BIL doesn't have a job, and his DW gets part time work occasionally. We still have no idea how they're able to afford their mortgage (and they've been like this for five years, even when his DW didn't have a job). But like you say, you can just pay interest on it instead?

There must be some benefits you are entitled to. Housing benefit even??

Someone with more knowledge on this topic should be able to advise you.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Sep-12 17:08:16

Before you do anything too hasty, it might be worth talking to the Job Centre, your mortgage company, checking out and possibly CAB. The Job Centre/CAB can take you through what you're entitled to claim... and DH could get another job soon of course. If you work 28 hours a week you'd be able to claim Working Family Tax Credits, for example. Mortgage lenders are pretty helpful if you tell them the circumstances. Selling up is very much seen as a last resort.

SaraSidle Fri 28-Sep-12 17:08:28

Stent you entitled to tax credits?

SaraSidle Fri 28-Sep-12 17:08:56


violathing Fri 28-Sep-12 17:09:14

Wtc and tc if you are on a lowidsh income

usualsuspect3 Fri 28-Sep-12 17:10:11

You can claim tax credits

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 28-Sep-12 17:10:15

" If you work 28 hours a week and you have children you'd be able to claim Working Family Tax Credits, for example." Should have said .

BrittaPerry Fri 28-Sep-12 17:13:30

It all depends on so much, you need to do a calculation. My DH works pretty much full time and I work part time, and we are entitled to child benefit, council tax benefit, housing benefit, child tax credit and working tax credit. Less than if we had no income, but we are still very much better off working.

I would guess you would have o e on a pretty high income to not be eligible for anything.

DuelingFanjo Fri 28-Sep-12 17:16:20

DH can get JSA and I am working 35 hours a week! Is it the redundancy pay that has stopped him or the fact that he's not paid enough contributions?

BrittaPerry you get housing benefit even though you both work?

I really don't understand the benefit system at all.

We were told we can't get WTC/CTC even though my DH is on JSA and I earn less than the national average wage.

titchy Fri 28-Sep-12 18:19:02

Duelling - you must be getting contribution based JSA. DH didn't pay NI for enough weeks last year to qualify. Can't get means tested cos I work over 24 hours a week. I earn too much for working tax credit. Maybe the £545 a year child tax credit will help....

HB is only for rented and you only get mortgage interest paid if you get JSA. My salary doesn't even cover the mortgage (admittedly its big.....)

DH confident he'll get a job soon, but I was just looking into what could happen if he doesn't and we are royally screwed! angry

WildWorld2004 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:33:52

I worked about the same hours as you & my ex claimed jsa. He claimed it for himself not for me & dc. Is your dh claiming jsa as a couple?

SecretNutellaFix Fri 28-Sep-12 18:36:21

Have you looked at your mortgage terms?

When we took our mortgage out, as DH was the only earner at the time, we got insurance for if he was made redundant. It would have paid the mortgage for a year.

BeingBooyhoo Fri 28-Sep-12 18:41:31

I think you need to talk to your mortgage company about reducing the monthly payment amount at least until dh is working again. Could you increase your hours?

BrittaPerry Fri 28-Sep-12 18:50:47

Tbh, if you only get that much ctc, your income is probably too high for other benefits. We get more than that a month from tax credits - it is the main part of our income. We get HB because our combined earned income is less than £15,000. It is only £30 odd quid a week, but that comes in very handy.

I think your best bet is talking to the bank.

prettybird Fri 28-Sep-12 18:54:37

Your dh should consider signing on even if he's not going to get any money. It at least keeps his NI contributions going for his pension. Either that, or you should think about changing your child benefit to go to him rather than you.

Still not sure why he couldn't get cont based JSA. When I was made redundant, I got PILON and was still able to claim. However, it may have been 'cos of the way my contract was worded, so it was seen as "damages" (which also helped make it tax free).

titchy Fri 28-Sep-12 19:02:34

Yes it was due to way it was paid - he left in June 2010 but was paid in lieu of notice so his p45 leaving date was August. However because they paid all his salary in June up front he didn't pay any conts in July or August and apparently you have to have paid NI for 50 out of 52 weeks in the preceding two tax years. sad

As I said we're not at panic stage yet - he still has a fair bit if redundancy money, but once that starts to run out we'll look into our options and let mortgage company know.

And I'll send him out cleaning wink

lovechoc Fri 28-Sep-12 19:03:48

If possible, you could always down-size or move to an area where you have a tiny mortgage?

notcitrus Fri 28-Sep-12 19:04:10

If it was only last year he may be able to pay the NI outstanding, and then be entitled to JSA. Try phoning the tax office on his payslip.

Viviennemary Fri 28-Sep-12 19:12:46

He really should be entitled to the contribution based jobseekers allowance. I would appeal the decision. Because they can take past years into consideration I think if it goes to a panel.

prettybird Fri 28-Sep-12 19:35:36

It's probably too late now but he should also have been given the opportunity to "make good" the shortfall.

It's also why it is always worth going and signing on straight away, so that he doesn't have the gap in NI payments, even if he wouldn't have got JSA initially. He'd have then go the 6 months later.

The benefit of hindsight.... sad

If he wasn't advised properly he could always go back and appeal? clutching at straws

titchy Fri 28-Sep-12 19:37:57

Appealing us a good idea, as is making up the payments - hasn't thought about that. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: