Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Peeved re bank charges. Can I do anything?

(11 Posts)
mockeveryweek Wed 26-Sep-12 20:11:45

Firstly, I know this is my own fault but was a genuine error.

At the end of last month I used my card for 2 transactions. 69p to amazon for a kindle book and 77p to iTunes for an app. Inadvertently, I thought a £50 transaction had cleared but it hadn't and those 2 transactions overlapped so they went out after the £50. My budgeting was a bit off last month and that £1.46 took me over my agreed overdraft.

I have now been charged £25 each for those transactions plus an unauthorised overdraft fee of £35. A total of £85 for the sake of £1.46.

I know the charges are laid out and I know I should have checked more carefully but bloody hell, £85 quid!!!

If I ring Santander are they going to say tough shit?

As an aside, does anyone bank with a bank who are a bit more lenient??

perceptionreality Wed 26-Sep-12 20:14:02

That is awful!! I have Natwest - I don't think they make those kind of charges. When I was with Lloyds I found them to be utter shits and was at times charged £100 for being a few pounds over drawn.

I thought you could claim money back for unfair charges - have you looked on Money Saving Expert?

eandh Wed 26-Sep-12 20:16:16

No if you are less than £12 overdrawn (although that mormally means within your overdraft limit) they will refund all charges (I work for them!) problem is charges are automated so no one sees them till a customer points them out. However, if you haven't had charges refunded in last 12 months they should do it as a one off for you. If they say no ask to go through to complaints as they have higher thresholds for refunds!

mockeveryweek Wed 26-Sep-12 20:16:57

I have looked at it before from my crap with money days and I did get some back.

I haven't had any charges for a long time as I got good at budgeting. This just seems a massive penalty for a minuscule amount.

May look at a Nat west account. Thanks.

mockeveryweek Wed 26-Sep-12 20:18:11

Ohhh thanks eandh that's very useful. I will ring ASAP.

MyCatHasStaff Wed 26-Sep-12 20:18:23

That is outrageous - but Santander are bastards. I have only dealt with them on a store card that I took out to get a discount, and they were so bad I won't ever use that card again - no discount is enough to make me deal with them! I use Barclays and have never had a problem in over 20 years, they have always been approachable even when I was very broke!

mockeveryweek Wed 26-Sep-12 20:21:08

Hmm. We do already have a Barclays account that we try to keep emergency money in. Perhaps another account with them would make sense. Can anyone advise about closing a bank account when you have an overdraft you can't afford to pay off?

eandh Wed 26-Sep-12 20:24:44

Have to say although I work for them (by default as took over my previous company) my main banking is done through Natwest (was dh bank when he left school and I had current acc for part time job when I did a levels so naturally opened a joint acc there never had any problems or charges!

MyCatHasStaff Wed 26-Sep-12 20:35:23

My friend tried to close a Santander account, but there was a -£5 balance, and even though they knew it was their error, they didn't sort it out and refused to close the account with an 'overdraft'. She moved everything to a Barclays account herself instead of transferring the account, but twas a nightmare.
Sorry eanh blush

perceptionreality Thu 27-Sep-12 10:19:15

I thought all banks were the same but have found the customer service at Natwest a whole lot better than Lloyds.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Thu 27-Sep-12 10:21:40

Just ring them and explain you made a mistake. If you are really nice on the phone, you may get a nice cashier who will reverse them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now