Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Will studying with OU stop my benefits?

(4 Posts)
FlippetyFlipFlaps Mon 24-Sep-12 14:55:41

Hi,

I was made redundant after my maternity leave as my old work did not want me to come back part time and I could not afford to do full time. Therefore I am currently unemployed, living off housing benefit, child tax credits, maintenance from ExP and child benefit.

I would really like to study with the OU, but their fees have gone up meaning I would need to get a student loan to pay for them. Even though I would intend to study part time, will all my benefits stop?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Sep-12 16:20:13

There are different rules for students than other people and you may find some of them work to your advantage. The OU probably has a student services facility that can walk you through the options for grants, loans and benefits.

Rockchick1984 Mon 24-Sep-12 17:38:05

I've just started an OU degree, and was told that due to the part time nature of study it wouldn't affect any benefits, and can't apply for any loans, grants or bursaries other than tuition fee loan. As this is paid directly to the OU (therefore not an income) I believe you would be fine but do double check before you apply smile

FlippetyFlipFlaps Mon 24-Sep-12 19:54:02

Thanks for your messages. I've done a bit of research and I would need a part time tuition fee loan, and as Rockchick said this is apparently not classed as income as per the Direct.gov website. So I'll give the benefits people a ring tomorrow to find out... got my fingers crossed as have my heart set on doing a course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now