Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I'm going to have to give up my job, arent I - as other half is losing his....

(3 Posts)
happyinherts Mon 24-Sep-12 14:13:08

My husband works 16 hours a week at minimum wage. He has his hours reduced over the years to 16 hours, but now they are moving north. We don't have transport and couldnt afford to travel anyway on 16 hour job.

I have a 15 hour job at just over minimum wage and the rest of our income is made up of wftc for our teenage son.

Thinking about it - we won't qualify for wftc on 15 hours will we. We will need at least 24 or dont both parents have to work to qualify now. In which case we are in a predicament as DH being late 50's is not going to secure employment immediately with all the best will in the world.

So I'm going to have to give up my job aren't I? Or does he sign on with me working 15 hours a week and we qualify for some kind of income support to top up my wage. Things have changed so much, I'm confused. I can't get more hours as my employers are looking to downshift too - so I would have to get another job which I cant see me doing to fit with the current one.

Life is rather complicated when you're trying to juggle things, isn't it?

What would you do?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 24-Sep-12 14:30:16

Don't act too hastily. You may not qualify for WTC if you only work 15 hours total as a couple but he could easily get a new job tomorrow and, if you've given yours up, you'd be back to square one. If he doesn't get a new job then there will be other benefits potentially available. Check out the benefits calculator on www.turn2us.org.uk to see what the possibilities are. Good luck

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 24-Sep-12 14:33:13

Could you register as self employed and do something like ironing/cleaning/something to bump your hours up?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now