Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Expecting huge international money transfer - how to make sure it goes smoothly?

(10 Posts)
sylvian Wed 19-Sep-12 10:45:22

Please don't hate me blush... So, DF has (completely out of the blue, unasked) offered to help me and DH purchase a house!!!!

He has in the past used wire transfer to put a few thousand pounds in our bank account (gift for new baby), US to UK. He is planning to do the same thing this time, but with £125K. Is there anything I can/should do to make sure this doesn't run afoul of international money laundering checks or something? I thought I should let my bank know, at least. But I'm worried it could get tied up somewhere in between and delayed (or even worse, lost -- is that possible???). We're completely unused to handling this type of sum of money. He's planning to initiate the transfer on Monday. Any advice greatly appreciated.

LadyEmmaHamilton Wed 19-Sep-12 10:50:12

Warn the Bank that you are expecting it. Otherwise they may well flag it up and put a stop on it.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Wed 19-Sep-12 10:52:10

Again i would tell your bank.

Why would anyone hate you?!

I think it's lovely your DF is in a position to be able to help and wants to.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 19-Sep-12 13:33:46

How lovely. Would he like to adopt me? grin

sylvian Wed 19-Sep-12 22:34:56

Okay, tell bank. Hopefully they'll know anything else?

Just a bit blush at the whole thing - I have always prided myself on making my own way, but this would just make our lives miles easier and I don't think I can turn the offer down. I'll just have to send tons of baby photos and videos, as I don't know how I could ever thank him enough.

HokeyCokeyPigInAPokey Thu 20-Sep-12 09:41:14

Wouldn't you do the same for your dcs if you could?

I am the same as you, i worked from 16 and built a career and made my own way. Since i have had dcs my mum has helped us loads financially, tens of thousands.

That's what families do isn't it and i hope when my dds are big i can do it for them, your dad sounds lovely.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 20-Sep-12 10:40:44

Don't feel guilty or that you have to go overboard with the thanks. Same as the PP my own parents have helped me out in the past and it's been very welcome. The only thing that frustrates me slightly is that they now seem to be salting away cash to leave to me and DB in their wills and we'd much rather they enjoyed it while they're alive. I've got just the one DS and he'll never want for anything if I can possibly help it. Seeing you happy and secure in a lovely home is probably thanks enough for your Dad.

sylvian Sat 22-Sep-12 09:33:53

Oh, thanks! Good point, I would very much do anything for my baby smile

Talked to the bank -- they made a savings account that we can put it into for the few weeks before it gets used and make some interest. Someone who I think is the head money guy (no idea how banks operate!) at our local branch will contact us when it comes through.

Fuchzia Sat 22-Sep-12 09:41:44

Okay as youwere. Just checking to make sure it wasn't from a nice man in Nigeria who needs to get money out of the country quickly.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 22-Sep-12 11:26:16

LOL @ 'head money guy' smile When a customer is depositing six figure sums I imagine red lights and klaxons start going off at the local branch and the file gets marked 'VIP... be extra nice'. Expect Christmas cards this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now