Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PPI- can you recommend a company?

(70 Posts)
LynetteScavo Tue 14-Aug-12 10:02:06

I've put off doing this because it all sounds so confusing.

There are so many companies offering their services, I don't know where to start.

Please don't suggest doing it myself, as it's just too much for me atm.

craftynclothy Tue 14-Aug-12 10:23:52

Those companies are a rip off and will not save you any work. Seriously it's fine to just write a letter simply saying you think you've been missold ppi.

pud1 Tue 14-Aug-12 10:40:22

I know you dontfeel like doing it yourself but it's just too easy. You will end up loosing about 20% using a company. By the time you have found a company to use and gone through the call with them you could have downloaded the letter from and done it yourself. I did it for my bil and it took me minuites.
Have you got the loan details

TequilaMockinBird Tue 14-Aug-12 10:42:11

Please don't use one of these rip-off companies sad

It may actually cause you more hassle! There is a form on MSE website, simply fill it in and send it off, it's so easy and takes a couple of minutes.

I'd link but I'm on my phone

pud1 Tue 14-Aug-12 10:42:20

I will talk you through it step by step and link the pages if you like.

TequilaMockinBird Tue 14-Aug-12 10:45:53

We're here to support you, it really is very easy and no hassle. I promise.

I've done it 6 times now, I'm an expert grin

LynetteScavo Tue 14-Aug-12 10:46:10

All I have is the account numbers of the credit cards I have/had. Is that enough.

I'll have another look on MSE.

And where do I send the letter - head office?

LynetteScavo Tue 14-Aug-12 10:47:00

You all sound so lovely! smile

I have to go out for the day now, but will be back this evening - with questions!

TequilaMockinBird Tue 14-Aug-12 10:47:26

Yes that's enough, and yes usually head office. Or if you tell us which companies we can google the complaints dept address for you.

BlingBubbles Tue 14-Aug-12 10:49:22

There was a massive thread on this a few months back, don't use those companies as everyone has said they are a massive rip off, going to he money saving expert website, download the ppi complaints template, fill it and send it off, it's seriously that easy. I have just received £3k back from doing just that and I didn't have any of my paperwork.

pud1 Tue 14-Aug-12 10:49:49


Use this link. You need to write to the lender.

I got 5.5k for my bil. I don't have any loans or credit cards to claim from. All it cost him was a bottle of perfume as a thank you, much cheaper than giving some company over 1k

pud1 Tue 14-Aug-12 10:50:51

I might be ok at claiming pip but I am crap at links. Sorry

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Aug-12 09:16:02

Thanks - I've just done the first letter,asking for a copy of the credit agreement (terms and conditions letter).

Can I send the letter paper work request letter at the same time?

Sorry, I know I'm being thick.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 15-Aug-12 11:33:30

Ive never used that one Lynette, I just filled out the ombudsman form (under step 3 on MSE I think) and sent that off.

A couple of the claims I didn't even have account numbers for!

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Aug-12 13:40:55

On the step 3 form ; Section A.4 - What's the policy number of the payment protection insurance you are complaining about?

I don't have a policy number - but I do have the account number the policy was for. Nowhere does it ask for the account number, as far as I can see.

Should I just leave this blank and send of the form? Or should I sent off letters 1 and 2 first, and wait for the policy number? I'm presuming I should wait.

firstbubba Wed 15-Aug-12 13:47:25

Dont use a company do it yourself all the info you need is on the Financial Ombudsman Service website

WhenDoISleep Wed 15-Aug-12 13:47:44

On the form there is a space for the account number that the PPI relates to (at the top of one of the pages) that will be enough for the company to find the PPI policy number. I have made two successful claims this year just by giving the account number

WhenDoISleep Wed 15-Aug-12 13:49:24

I just sent the questionnaire directly both times - if the lender wants more information they will write back to you.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 15-Aug-12 14:47:16

Under the policy number question I just wrote 'can't remember'.

It didn't hold my claims up.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 15-Aug-12 15:01:35

So no, you don't need the policy number. Just send the claim form off.

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Aug-12 20:22:50

In Section E it asks about what happened when I took out the PPI - where the sale took place, why I decided to take out the insurance, etc. I can't remember. Is it OK just to put that?

TequilaMockinBird Wed 15-Aug-12 21:06:58

Is that the section where you say why you think it was missold?

LynetteScavo Wed 15-Aug-12 21:59:57

The first part of that section,yes. I remember having a phone conversation with someone once, who insisted it was in my best interest to have PPI, but I have no idea if it was for this credit card.

In the second part,asking what my complaint is I've put I was self employed at the time and now understand I would not have been able to make a claim.

TequilaMockinBird Wed 15-Aug-12 22:23:22

YY you need to say that the PPI was of no use to you because of being self-employed but that this wasn't explained to you at the time. Depending on the financial product it was taken out on, you could also you thought/it was implied that your chances of acceptance would be greater if you took the PPI.

Badvoc Wed 15-Aug-12 22:40:50

What do you do if you no longer have the details of cards you had?
(house move and things have gone missing)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: