Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

anyone any experience with these ppi claims? I have a question

(11 Posts)
purplerainbow Wed 18-Jul-12 19:21:37

i had a phone call from one of those companies that want to chase any paid ppi you may be owed... i said the same old thing i say to them all 'no ive never had any ppi so i have nothing to claim'. I basically kept saying i would know if i was paying any ppi (even though i would have never requested it) because it would be on my statement and i always check them. She said do you have the statements and i said no because they are very old. She told me that it doesnt have to be noted on the statment and that it may have been in the original terms and conditions and that i may have been paying for ppi unknowlingly. Is she correct?? Surely if it wasnt on any statements it would be illegal?

NotGeoffVader Wed 18-Jul-12 21:34:30

If someone is randomly phoning you to offer assistance or money then I would simply consider it a scam.

I have had several texts from one of those companies saying that they can retrieve PPI for me. I have ignored.

I don't see how you could be paying for something and not know - even if it didn't appear on your statement as "PPI" it would be detailed as some sort of charge, which, if you didn't/hadn't recognised you'd have queried.

If you have a financial advisor then it might be worth asking them to check your info, but don't get one of those random companies that ring to do it, you'll lose money, I promise. sad

purplerainbow Thu 19-Jul-12 10:24:10

Id never use one of those companies to claim anyway as its so easy to do it yourself and you dont lose any of your money to the company!

I dont have a financial asvisor, but iv never (to my knowlege) ever had ppi, its not something i would ever have paid for. Just wondering what the chances were of me paying it and not knowing about it?

NotGeoffVader Thu 19-Jul-12 12:48:16

Now that I don't know, but I'd reckon 'slim' would be the answer! smile

AngryFeet Thu 19-Jul-12 12:55:02

Have you had loans before?

Tiago Thu 19-Jul-12 12:55:56

Chances are very very very very slim. If you want to know - ask you loan/credit card providers. they should tell you (and if you don't believe them you should make a data subject access request for your historical records so you can see for yourself).

Tiago Thu 19-Jul-12 12:58:32

Also, if you find you have had PPI - PLEASE don't use the claims companies. It's free to go via the Financial Ombudsman, and lots of those companies are lodging claims with banks for customers who have never ever had PPI (which is helping cause the massive backlog for payments as it takes forever to sort through the claims, find the (frankly fraudulent ones) and then write multiple letters to the claims companies required until they finally admit there is no PPI to be refunded).

purplerainbow Thu 19-Jul-12 17:19:53

i had a loan over 10 years ago, loans after that were with ex husband....we had a joint mortgage but i got taken off that 2 years ago, now i just have a credit card, now loans

Fourfingerkitkat Fri 20-Jul-12 17:49:50

This is very interesting to me....I received a letter from Legal and General today regarding a pension I took out with my old employer in 2001. I was made redundant in 2010 and called them to say that I couldn't afford the monthly payments so could they "freeze" the policy which they did. I normally scan the letters then file them but had a closer look at the one received today and saw that they've been charging me £3.50 in PPI every month ! Called to query this, girl was very helpful and explained that since the PPI would only cover me should I be seriously ill and unable to keep up payments and did not apply to redundancy, they would be refunding the monies paid since 2010. She couldn't tell me exactly how much this would work out at. My question is what about the PPI that pre-dates this. As far as I can make out I've been paying it since the beginning of the policy in 2001 and have no recollection of the financial adviser explaining it to me at the time...

mummycbear Sat 21-Jul-12 21:50:40

theres a good article on the MyFamiltClub website about PPI claims:
http://www.myfamilyclub.co.uk/money/banking-insurance/how-to-reclaim-ppi-19348 :-))

Jra23 Wed 24-Oct-12 21:45:25

I am in the process of trying to reclaim our ppi, I phoned halifax and had a brief five minute conversation after another 2, 5 minute chats they sent me a letter within 2 weeks saying that they weren't paying out, I then phoned up and asked them to reopen as half the stuff they said that I said wasn't true or had been twisted, 3 days later I received another letter refusing the claim, I then, through sheer anger sent a two page letter giving a full explanation as to why we were misold it, as I feel that a full investigation is impossible to do in a couple of days or weeks. I sent the letter late thurs night so would be Monday or Tuesday before they received it at the earliest I have phoned today Wednesday to get an update, and they have already managed to send another letter to me still refusing it, they must of had my last letter for 24 hours at the most !!!! Yet they have managed to do a full investigation. Where do I go from here !!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now