Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Stay at home mum, what maternity allowance?

(10 Posts)
ElleOhElle Wed 18-Jul-12 11:54:48

Hi, I'm after some help for a friend. If you stay at home to look after your child and choose not to work because your partner earns enough that you don't need to are you entitled to a maternity allowance for next baby?

Also I'm a bit confused re NI payments? If you don't work and don't 'sign on' how do you pay your NI contribution allowing you to get NHS healthcare, and state pension etc?

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the situation could someone help so I can advice my friend on what to do?

ElleOhElle Wed 18-Jul-12 11:55:40

*advise my friend, not advice her?!!*

Dropdeadfred Wed 18-Jul-12 11:56:01

No you wouldn't be entitled for next baby

Dropdeadfred Wed 18-Jul-12 11:56:49

If you claim child benefit then .ni payments are made for you

spammertime Wed 18-Jul-12 12:00:52

Hi, feeding baby at moment so a quick reply but in essence

No you only get smp etc if you have worked for qualifying weeks prior to baby being born. So if you are a SAHM then no, you won't get it as you didn't work and hence qualify for it.

Re national insurance - you effectively earn a credit as a qualifying year for each year while you are a SAHM. I think at the moment this is done via your child benefit claim which was one of the minor complications in removing this as a universal benefit (ie how will women in that situation continue to get the appropriate credit towards their pension etc).

Sorry simplified answer but is I hope at least a help

ElleOhElle Wed 18-Jul-12 12:04:14

Thanks, that makes sense, I did think that maybe NI came from child benefit but wasn't sure. Thanks very much.

propercharlie Wed 18-Jul-12 12:14:11

No, you are not entitled to MA or SMP or any maternity benefits if you are a SAHM.

vj32 Wed 18-Jul-12 13:25:51

You don't need to pay NI contributions to be entitled to use the NHS!!

You do need a certain number of qualifying years for the state pension. Currently I think it is 30 years. (Google it if you are concerned!) So even allowing for not working for 10 years while having children, most people will still have enough working and paying years anyway.

And as above, no she won't get any maternity help for the next baby. Bt if her partner earns enough that she doesn't need to work presumably that isn't a problem?

ElleOhElle Wed 18-Jul-12 15:25:06

Thanks vj32, I was under the impression that NI paid for NHS so you had to contribute but I did think that seemed a bit strange because plenty of people don't work and don't claim benefits. Was a bit confused and overthinking it.

Micklark Wed 22-Feb-17 03:51:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now