Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

will I be able to rent a house with bad credit score

(9 Posts)
rotool Sun 15-Jul-12 16:25:32

I am trying to get out of an abusive relationship, I have found somewhere to live and have a guarantor and references to confirm my income, credit checks will be done Monday,Tuesday I think but I am panicking and thinking the worst...that I wont pass the checks. If I don't get the house I will have to go to a refuge as he as not been physically violent I can't get him out of the house we own. Does anyone know if I have a good chance of passing the ckecks?

ColouringIn Sun 15-Jul-12 16:33:10

Hi rotool, please don't panic, it should be absolutely fine. Make sure you are up front with the agent about the credit score issues but it should not be a problem. I rented several times after coming out of a very difficult relationship. My exH stopped paying towards loans and I could not do them on my own hence I got a really crap credit rating and a CCJ. I nevcer ever had a problem renting - just told the agent straightaway that they would fiund this and why.

perceptionreality Sun 15-Jul-12 16:34:57

It should be ok but you may need a guarantor (if you have a CCJ)

FermezLaBouche Sun 15-Jul-12 16:41:44

Hello!
I am in the process of renting somewhere and I have crap credit. I spoke with the agency and they said they really just want to confirm you have a regular income and never miss rent. This was a relief to me as I have some unresolved issues with utility companies.

With guarantors you should be fine. Do you have the deposit/month's rent in advance? These have been the hardest things to cobble together for me.

rotool Sun 15-Jul-12 16:52:26

Hi, thank you.........I am applying for a crisis loan because of my situation but other than that I think my mum will help. I have bank accounts and a mortgage, will this help. I haven't told the letting agent about my credit because I was too embarrassed, do you think I ought to go and see them tomorrow? The land lord is very nice, do you think it's worth going to see her and explaining all this aswell?

FermezLaBouche Sun 15-Jul-12 17:07:35

I would explain if I were you - most places are very understanding. If you're in the North East I can give you the name of the nice people I am in process of renting from?

As I say, I think you will be fine, but it will set your mind at ease to be open with them.

rotool Sun 15-Jul-12 18:02:04

I'm south west. Just keeping everything crossed!!

sincitylover Tue 17-Jul-12 12:34:27

in london and se you may not be able to rent with a CCJ or IVA.

I just lost money because unbeknown to me I had one (due to exh) and the agent said the landlords's rent cover insurance wouldn't cover this.

Bloody insurance industry has alot to answer for.

SabrinaBenSalmi Mon 15-Feb-16 22:49:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now