Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and child benefit advice

(10 Posts)
doyourworst Tue 08-May-12 22:24:13

I am separated from my husband and there are a number of discussions ongoing about tax credits and child benefit. Is there anyone I can contact to get some advice/guidance about these things in terms of how they are awarded, who they are awarded to, etc? HMRC seem pretty pants at being anything other than vague and unhelpful. I think I need to speak to some sort of independent expert.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 08-May-12 23:35:39

Tax credits and child benefit go to the designated main carer. Usually, that's the mother. Maintenance payments are not counted in the calculation.

doyourworst Wed 09-May-12 09:38:24

Thanks CES I appreciate the guidance but things are really complicated and I think I need to talk through it all with some kind of tax expert. What I'm really after is a contact name or number for someone to talk to.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 09-May-12 11:50:40

I'd have thought the main issue was the residency rather than tax. Once you establish who is the main carer, the child-related benefits automatically go to that person. If you subsequently decide between you and your ex husband to compensate the non-benefit-receiving co-parent, that's a private arrangement, surely?

doyourworst Wed 09-May-12 16:55:08

I can't really go into all the details here on MN... I just need to talk it all through with someone.

MrAnchovy Wed 09-May-12 17:23:04

Citizens Advice Bureau,

doyourworst Fri 25-May-12 16:55:12

Thanks MyAnchovy. The website was a good reference. Much appreciated.

ayeshaazan Mon 08-Aug-16 09:24:19

Hello every one.Iam new on this portal.Iam too much worried and want your opinion guys.My partner is subject to immigration control.I was getting tax credit as single parent working 16 hrs a week.then my partner moved with me and I informed to tax credit.They said that you need to apply for joint claim.will it affect my tax credit

Babyroobs Mon 08-Aug-16 10:28:14

Yes of course it will. It will depend whether he is allowed to claim benefits as an immigrant. I think it will depend how long he has been in the Uk, whether he works Etc. If he is working then his earnings will be taken into account on a joint claim and your tax credits will go down significantly. If your joint earnings go over the threshold they may stop altogether. It depends on your earnings and how many kids you have.

ayeshaazan Mon 08-Aug-16 11:26:16

Thank you for your my partner is not allowed work and he does not work.I work 24 hrs a week now when he moved.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now