Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I could do with an extra income (cleaning etc) any suggestions

(19 Posts)
jaie Sat 07-Apr-12 18:29:41

Like a majority of people in the country I am finding that money is slipping away without much effort. I would love an extra income right now. I have never been afraid of working hard and having a second job would not phase me. I am happy to clean, just something to help for a little while. either that or a small slice of someones lottery win, lol. Did not want to go there with putting myself across in a desparate manner but dont want to struggle anymore

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 08-Apr-12 07:26:53

It's not desperate to want to work. How about asking around where you live? All kinds of businesses want temporary staff or people to work outside regular hours. A student friend of mine saw a notice in his local bookies and now works there at weekends. Prior to that he helped out at the local pub a few nights a week.

As well as work, if your household is on a low-medium income, have you made sure you're claiming all the benefits you're entitled to. The Turn2Us Benefits Calculator is often worth a look.

jaie Sun 08-Apr-12 07:49:37

Thanks cognito I will look into that. tobe honest I think I am getting all the benefits and just had my tax credits reduced and it is having an impact. Now im really scrapping the barrel!!

HJisoffwork Sun 08-Apr-12 09:45:34

I'm delivering yellow pages this week.

jaie Sun 08-Apr-12 18:17:48

Thanks Hjisoffwork, though I would prefer house cleaning or anything of that sort.

inmysparetime Tue 10-Apr-12 13:22:24

Are you good at baking, craft or jam/chutney making? All these are good ways to add value to things if you have time.
You can usually sell through local shops more easily than setting up a stall.
Dog walking and taking in ironing/washing are other ways to make extra cash, but remember you do need to declare any income to the benefit office, which may affect your benefits if you earn variable income.

booboobeedoo Tue 10-Apr-12 13:24:17

Evening babysitting? Sign up with an agency?

youngermother1 Tue 10-Apr-12 13:50:32

look in the local shops windows and see what people are advertising - talk to local cleaning firms which may offer work

ANTagony Tue 10-Apr-12 13:54:38

Ebaying for yourself and others can bring in a pretty healthy extra bit. Your own stuff is all tax free extra earnings too.

rebmadrid Tue 10-Apr-12 18:46:04

I don't know if they have it in uk but how I am earning extra income through airbnb here in Madrid.

jaie Wed 11-Apr-12 10:42:37

Thank you all for suggestions so far, Ishall look into these options xx

Hi, I do party plan selling Usborne Childrens Books. It is very flexible so would fit well around another job or family commitments. I recently attended a job fairas an exhibitor run by one of the national housing associations. They are now recommending party plan type jobs to their clients to provide the extra hours needed to keep compliance to maintain benefits. Happy to post more details if people are interested.

ICompletelyKnowAboutGuineaPigs Mon 16-Apr-12 09:48:29

Hi,

I started as an independent Pampered Chef consultant in February and it's fab. I demonstrate Pampered Chef kitchenware at cooking shows in people's homes (They do say staying in is the new going out! grin. It's very flexible and the commission rate is excellent. Best of all though, it's really good fun ... when I go to work I don't feel like I'm 'working'. Not sure there are many jobs where you can say that! Let me know if you want more info... smile

nannyluke Wed 18-Apr-12 21:47:38

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

jaie Wed 18-Apr-12 22:11:12

Thanks everyone for recommendations so far x

bibbitybobbitybunny Wed 18-Apr-12 22:17:09

Honestly, if you can leave your dc at home in the evening with a partner, I would do babysitting. I pay £7 an hour for someone to sit on their arse on my sofa eating my crisps and drinking my drinks whilst watching my tv and being kept warm by my heating. Tis the easiest money you will ever earn.

I pay my cleaner £10 an hour - but she works hard!

BillyBollyBandy Thu 19-Apr-12 15:53:09

Waitressing - money not great but tips usually make up for it, particularly if you work somewhere a bit "posh" wink

Although I ysed to get quite good tips when I worked at a Harvester so sometimes cheap works well! You can often pick your shifts.

MarySA Thu 19-Apr-12 20:30:59

I know somebody who did Betterware a few years ago and that seemed to bring in a bit. And it's still going. Sort of household and kitchen ware. And I also think ebay could bring in a bit. What about dog walking. I didn't realise but somebody told me this can pay. I'm not keen on dogs so it wouldn't suit me!! Also evening work waitressing and the like could be the answer. Hope you find something suitable. That Pampered Chef somebody wrote about sounds interesting. I've not heard of that.

Entrepreneur1mum Sun 23-Sep-12 22:38:52

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now