Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Percentage of income spent on mortgage?

(15 Posts)
Springforward Thu 29-Mar-12 08:59:46

So, we've just found a house we want to make an offer on, only to discover this morning that the lender we had our decision in principle with is no longer offering the fixed rate we had budgeted for. We'll be seeking fresh advice.

People of Mumsnet, my question is - what percentage of your income are you paying on your mortgage?

(I know that it's about affordability too, but that's not what I'm wondering - I'm wondering if I'm being too cautious when it comes to how much we can afford in practice, in the long term. We don't have debts, only nursery fees.)

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Mar-12 09:06:14

I spend around 40% of my take-home pay (after deductions, pension etc) on the mortgage each month. Another 40% goes on bills like council tax and utilities plus groceries and incidentals and the rest gets saved. However, I'm only 4 or 5 years off being mortgage-free. When I first bought the house 21 years ago the mortgage would have been more like 50% of my take-home and my savings % would have been a lot lower.

BabyTeeth Thu 29-Mar-12 09:14:38

I've roughly worked it out at about 40%. Isn't the general rule it should be a third? We can live with 40% short term as we expect our earnings to increase in a few years. It's not too bad, like you no debts but childcare costs. If it wasn't for the childcare costs it would be fine!

Springforward Thu 29-Mar-12 10:10:00

Yes, childcare costs are utterly horrible, aren't they? I pay more in childcare than we will on the proposed mortgage....

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 29-Mar-12 10:17:01

Childcare isn't for ever. As your children get older, start school etc. the costs gradually go down and your disposable income goes up. I know I certainly drew heavily on my savings in the early years to make ends meet. Factor everything into your calculations when working out what budget you can afford.

BikeRunSki Thu 29-Mar-12 10:20:03

About a third. After childcare, bill and food we break even!

RedHelenB Thu 29-Mar-12 16:17:22

I think 50% + would be too high bit 40% does sound manageable, particularly if you will have more in your pocket in a few years time.

RockChick1984 Thu 29-Mar-12 19:13:03

Mortgage is 25% of take home pay, however with ground rent and service charge it's more like 40%, would prefer it to be lower but it's manageable.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 30-Mar-12 07:05:51

BTW... percentages are not as important as the amount of money you have left at the end. If someone's income is £800 a month and they have £400 left to pay for bills, groceries, council tax etc after meeting the mortgage payment it could be tight. If their income is £3000 a month and they're left with £1500 after 50% of the money has gone on the mortgage, it might not be so difficult.

SaraBellumHertz Fri 30-Mar-12 07:11:26

Our mortgage repayments are a little less than 20% of our income. We have been thinking about buying a bigger house so I'm interested to see how other people answer.

I'm very reluctant to feel over committed at the moment.

chocoroo Fri 30-Mar-12 07:15:55

Ours is about 25%. Childcare is about a 1/3.

We do overpay the mortgage and it's making a huge difference.

only4tonight Fri 30-Mar-12 07:20:59

I had the same question about a week ago. It's over in the property section. There were various answers but the general consensus was that a third would be doable for us.

Jaspall Tue 05-Jan-16 12:07:38

9% for us.

Babyroobs Tue 05-Jan-16 20:18:53

About 25% but that is because we are overpaying it. It would be about 15% if we were not overpaying.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Tue 05-Jan-16 20:21:16

This is a zombie thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now