Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax repayment? What is this?

(28 Posts)
Northernlurker Fri 09-Dec-11 17:21:42

Dh has a letter today which is headed tax calculation and says this letter shows a tax repayment due (for a year in which he was made redundant). It says a payabl order has been issued to you seperately. It says on the calculation 'repayment due' and that section is marked (helpfully NOT) this is either what you have to pay or what we owe you. So which is it? It doesn't say demand but it doesn't say rebate. I have a degree and I can't work this out - I know what I think it is from the calculation but Iwould like others opinions!
Thanks

minceorotherwise Fri 09-Dec-11 17:27:22

Sounds like a rebate. But not 100 percent sure

spicyorange Fri 09-Dec-11 17:29:24

If it says payable order has been issued the amount thats on the bottom of the tax form where it says repayable amount due or some thing along them lines, is what you will recieve in a cheque in a couple of days. I had one last week and cheque has just cleared just in time for xmas smile

ginmakesitallok Fri 09-Dec-11 17:29:30

Does the tax office use paypal??? You learn a new thing every day

ginmakesitallok Fri 09-Dec-11 17:30:05

blush payable not paypal....

Iggly Fri 09-Dec-11 17:30:55

Sounds dodgy.

Phone HMRC

spicyorange Fri 09-Dec-11 17:33:44

The tax office are going through every ones tax as a few years ago there was an error and you either over paid or under paid tax. Feel sorry for those who are going to end up with a bill.

mumblechum1 Fri 09-Dec-11 17:35:01

A payable order is Government speak for cheque.

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 09-Dec-11 17:35:34

Does it have a little number 16 next to the amount?

ditavonteesed Fri 09-Dec-11 17:37:36

I got one the other week, they sent me a cheque a few days later smile all good.

Northernlurker Fri 09-Dec-11 17:42:48

Ok yes it has a 16 and yes it looks like they owe us but I can hardly bring myself to believe it! It's a fair amount. Why don't they put the cheque in the same envelope! I thought payable order was cheque - but first time I read it I thought it was an order as in 'we order you to pay us!' they should put smileys or sad faces on these things!

Iggly Fri 09-Dec-11 18:54:41

Ah just saw you said payable not paypal! Then probably ok.

They put the cheque separately so you have warning of it arriving in case your post is intercepted (it happens!)

I've had tax rebates before (applied for it myself mind), was nearly £1k!

BrokenBananaTantrum Fri 09-Dec-11 21:48:12

Yep believe it they owe you money ! Your cheque will arrive in a couple of days smile

NorkyPiesWithJingleBellsOn Fri 09-Dec-11 21:53:59

I got a letter like this, and a BIG cheque a few days later. The envelope looked like junk mail, so I might easily have thrown it away without opening it!

Catsmamma Fri 09-Dec-11 21:57:22

NOOOOOO!!

read the notes that come with....i got one of those yesterday and could not make head nor tail of it.

but then i sat and read the helpful gobbledegookish notes. All the amounts have numbers by them, and the notes explain what they mean

it also says in the event of your overpaying a cheque will arrive within 14 days!

Mine arrived today....a nice fat cheque! I am officially in love with the taxman for now!

Catsmamma Fri 09-Dec-11 21:58:42

and yes to reiterate what other have said the cheque is in a very ordinary junkmail type white window envelope.

LoopyLoopsWoopDeWoops Fri 09-Dec-11 21:59:37

Me too, I was confused, but my (£600!) cheque arrived today. smile

JinglePosyPerkin Fri 09-Dec-11 22:01:35

Yep - they are sending your DH a cheque for that amount grin. I had one of those identical confusing letters last week & a few days later the cheque arrived. According to the cashier at Barclays, there have been loads issued recently. Mine was from 2005-2006!

Northernlurker Fri 09-Dec-11 22:15:57

Thanks all smile Dh is so absurdly honest that he insisted on getting out his documents from that year to check they have the right amounts. Which they do. I've spent it several times over already mentally grin The letter is not clear at all if you don't speak HRMC. I assumed it was a bill so it took a lot of reading of the notes to get to it and then I thought I must be wrong - it's nearly £550 so worth having!

Knownothingknowitall Sat 10-Dec-11 09:24:21

I got one last week too, £600. I had to read the letter several hundred times to understand what it meant blush

purpleknittingmum Sat 10-Dec-11 15:20:00

My OH got a letter today, and is getting back about £110 from 2 different tax years! Great surprise!

purpleknittingmum Sat 10-Dec-11 20:20:59

oops we read the letter wrong, one year repayment is about £22 and the other is about £66, and the letter for the later year shows the total as about £88. Still not complaining!

Northernlurker Sun 11-Dec-11 09:25:59

our cheque came yesterday smile

bananamam Sun 11-Dec-11 09:29:06

We got one of those!!! Was for over 1k!! I too now love the taxman...for now anyway grin it's from 5 years ago though. They are v quick to take money and obviously a little reluctant to give it back"

purpleknittingmum Sun 11-Dec-11 09:47:17

Over £1k!! Excellent!! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now